Extra Sockets in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, thanks in advance for any advice offered....

I have just one double socket in the garage. Its right next to the main distribution panel see pic //www.diynot.com/network/nastylizard/albums/

Theres just one set of wires inside the socket, (so is this a spur?) and they look like they go straight in the panel thing. The socker is on 'downstairs socket' breaker, as when i throw that switch the fridge goes off. I use this double socket purely for a tumble dryer and a fridgefreezer in th garage.

I have a stud wall at the other end of the garage in which i need two more double sockers in close proximatey - these will be for a TV, PC, & printer

My question is - Can i run a spur from the existing double socket or not ?
I calculate with Dryer & fridge both on togerther is about 12 amps - or if I did it this way does that leave me just an amp for the other stuff?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
From your description it is indeed a spur and you cannot add anything else to it.

However, assuming it is wired with 2.5mm², it could be put on a separate new 20/25A mcb and then you could add as many as you wish.

As EFL has suggested it is a spur and cannot be spurred off , however it can be turned into a radial circuit by connecting it to a 20A breaker, this maybe foreign language to you, if it is I suggest calling a sparky before you end up heating your home using overloaded cable ;)

Sponsored Links
From your description it is indeed a spur and you cannot add anything else to it.

However, assuming it is wired with 2.5mm², it could be put on a separate new 20/25A mcb and then you could add as many as you wish.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Excuse my ignorance, would that be a dedicated ring for the garage then - or radial? - I assume if ring it would need two lengths of cable to the other end of garage. Now you are talking fitting new MCB's im not going to be doing it myself, but it would be good to know in advance how the sparky will do it.

cheers

As EFL has suggested it is a spur and cannot be spurred off , however it can be turned into a radial circuit by connecting it to a 20A breaker, this maybe foreign language to you, if it is I suggest calling a sparky before you end up heating your home using overloaded cable ;)

Thanks for that. - your reply came in whilst i was typing the last.
I understand what you mean.
It just basically one length of 2.5mm acrss to the new sockets, and a new 20A breaker fitted, dedicated for the garage sockest, yes? -

you could always change this socket for a 13a fcu, then add this socket back in after the FCU then add the other one at the other side of the garage

you will ofc be limited to 13a though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back