extractor fan / cavity wall / airbrick conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Several years ago we had a long bathroom split into two (so that one is an ensuite). It's the back of a 1930s house which was extended in the 70s, so part of the exterior wall is solid brick, part blockwork cavity wall.

The builder was cheap, and cut a few corners. Generally it's all been ok - everything is still where it should be and we've had the electrics and accessible plumbing checked and tweaked since.

I've recently replaced both extractor fans with better quieter versions than the builder supplied. In the solid wall section they had core drilled straight through, so a clean enough bare hole came out under the roof eave. When I put the new one in I used a duct and folding grille kit which worked nicely, with a noticeable reduction of wind and spiders coming in.

In the cavity wall / ensuite section they had just badly drilled through the inside block, tiling up to the hole to hide the mess, and lined it up with the original 70s clay airbrick on the outside, so the fan is firing extracted air at the airbrick, which doesn't itself have huge holes. So it seems a lot of the extracted air is just being pushed into the cavity.

Do I need to act on this? It doesn't seem to prevent effective extraction when using the shower, but is it going to cause problems down the line? Ideally I would put a similar duct and grille through a hole in the airbrick, I'm not convinced this could be cut from the inside with the tiling and electrics but it's not going to be at all straight forward getting to the outside of airbrick over a sloping extension roof, and even then, I can imagine it just shattering with a 100mm hole cutter.

Sponsored Links
The hole through the cavity wall should be lined. this is so the warm damp air is not being blown into the cavity and causing condensation on the inner skin of your walls. One day you may wish to insulate the cavities and the holes would need lining at this stage anyway.
At installation time a rigid tube should have been used, but you are only sealing it against a bit of wet air, so a rolled stiffish bit of plastic bag or DPC can be used. So roll a yard of it around some round former smaller then the hole. Put on a layer of suitable glue on the inside faces of the two holes and unwrap your plastic sticking it to the inside of the hole as you go. Use more glue when you get to the plastic to plastic surface. Finish the open end with tape - it would be nice if this was along the top of the hole.
I do not think that you can sucessfully core drill an air brick. It would be better to knock it out from the outside, put a proper air grill over the hole and just make good the hole with brick and mortar. It might be easier to to "plate" the hole with some suitable material (ali /plastic?) to cover the mutilated area
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back