Extractor Fan doesn't run

igl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I replaced an older run on extractor fan in the bathroom with a new one. It is supposed to come on when the light cord is pulled but when I wired it up the light worked but the extractor fan didn't.

The wires seem to be as follows: Blue - Neutral; Grey Switch Live; Black Live.

I'm not very good at stuff like this. Any ideas? :cry: [/img]

Sponsored Links
Did you make a note of which three core conductors went were on the old extractor before you fitted the new one? If you did then copy them.
Is there a switched fused connection unit in the circuit - if yes is that on/fused?

If not, then you will need to look how the three core conductors are terminated in the pull switch.
A photograph of the pull switch cables would be helpful as well as one of the ceiling rose/unit containing the light cables.

Did you make a note of which three core conductors went were on the old extractor before you fitted the new one? If you did then copy them.
Is there a switched fused connection unit in the circuit - if yes is that on/fused?

If not, then you will need to look how the three core conductors are terminated in the pull switch.
A photograph of the pull switch cables would be helpful as well as one of the ceiling rose/unit containing the light cables.
T

Yes, I took a copy of the original wiring layout but the newer fan is slightly different. It seems that from the older unit the live and switch live wires were plugged into the same connector!

Sponsored Links
The wires seem to be as follows: Blue - Neutral; Grey Switch Live; Black Live.
Is no one else puzzled by the colours?

It seems that from the older unit the live and switch live wires were plugged into the same connector!
How do know they are L and SL?

Did the old fan have a timer?
Does the new fan have a timer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back