Extractor fan for bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bathroom 1.82m x 3.16m x 2.30m which desperately needs ventilation. It has 2 outside walls and 2 internal walls. 2 windows, 1 internal and the other to outside and of course a door.

I am working on the basis of the room requiring 20 changes of air an hour so looking at a fan extracting 245m3 plus or around that. So this points me to a 150mm fan.

I an intending to wire it to the switch so when someone uses the bathroom the fan cuts in.

One issue, the external wall is 1 metre thick, the ceiling goes up to a lean to/office which has a sloped slate roof.

Does all this make sense and add up and whats my best bet for venting the steam, which wall or roof?

Sponsored Links
This may help you with the electrical side of things. //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:fan . As far as which is the most efficient method then as steam rises logically you would think a ceiling fan would be the best solution & also you would be able to use an in-line model that will over come the problems of size ( I've never seen a 150mm ceiling mounted one) & the need to notify as it will be outside of a "special area"

Remember that that air removed from the room has to be replaced by air from outside the room. Most often by a wide gap under the door. Fan ratings of air flow assume this replacement air has no obstruction. A door with very little gaps can reduce fan air flow to less than a 1/4 of the rated flow.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to your replies I have decided to go for an inline extractor. Noise is reduced and it won't put any weight on the plasterboard ceiling as a normal fan would.

What I am slightly confused over is air changes per hour.

Some people say 20, most people say between 3 and 10! This means any calculation I do for my bathroom can rapidly alter the cost of the fan as some have higher throughput than others.

Is there an exact science with air change per hour or is it as varied as it seems?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back