Extractor Fan - Isolator switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all - over the weekend i am planning to replace a worn out extractor fan in our on-suite bathroom.

Taking a look at the wiring - it is connected from the light switch to a triple pole isolator switch (live, neutral and switched live) then into the fan itself via 3 core and earth cable. All seems simple enough.

However, one thing that i have wondered since moving in, is that the triple pole isolator (an ordinary looking switch) is actually located in the bathroom itself, just above the fan in fact. Does this meet wiring requirements?? I thought the use of a switch in the bathroom was a no-no, even if it is a triple pole isolator?

Sponsored Links
It's almost certainly fine where it is.

It ought to be in Zone 3 and unlikely to be splashed, but IMHO there is far too much histeria and myth surrounding protection in bathrooms... unless you intend to carry out this work live, naked and wet it should all be as simple as you describe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back