extractor fan on lighting circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all .. is it ok to wire a 4\\\" extractor fan into the lighting circuit via a fcu take from the lighting circuit? .. it is a timed fan so i need to take a wire to the switched side of rose anyway ,and also what size wire should i use 1.5mm or 2.5 ? soz if this is a noob question but i am a noob

Sponsored Links
For the timer function to work, you need a live, switched live, neutral and earth - 3 core and earth cable is required, in 1.5mm². This will usually be run from the ceiling rose in the room you are having the fan. an FCU isn't required, but a 3 pole isolator (with fan written on it) is.

oops forgot to mention that the fan is in a downstairs toilet with hand basin .. can i have the 3 pole isolator in there or does it have to be outside the toilet?

Sponsored Links
ubertossa said:
oops forgot to mention that the fan is in a downstairs toilet with hand basin .. can i have the 3 pole isolator in there or does it have to be outside the toilet?
put the switch high level outside the door. not inside the bathroom

I didn't think a WC came under the special locations imposed on a bathroom (a room containing a bathtub or shower basin), hence I can't see any reason why you can't install the isolation switch inside the room, just not too close to the handwash basin (splashing risk).

There are no restrictions specifically around a wash hand basin, unless that basin is within a restricted zone to start with. However, some lighting association in this country has devised a system of zones based on the zones in the regs to cover areas around wash hand basins where lighting is installed close by.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back