Extractor fan staying on permanenty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The extractor fan in my kitchen has developed a fault. Until recently it would come on whenever I switched on the kitchen light and would stop approx 30 seconds after the light was switched off. However the fan is now staying on permanently. The only way I can stop it is by switching it off at the fan isolator located next to it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Has anything been changed with the electrics recently? Even if you may not think it's anything to do with this....

Try adjusting the delay timer(within the fan), or the timer within the fan circuit has packed up.

If you have changed nothing electrically in the house then it is likely that the timer element of the fan has stopped working.
You could replace the fan or live without the timer part by putting a link between the switch live and permanent live at the fan.
Thus the fan would come on a go off when the via the light switch.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.

I'll put in the link as suggested. The fan is an old Prime Line 6" which was already installed when I bought the house 6 years ago so I may decide to invest in a new one.

Problem solved, it was a grubby humidity sensor. A wipe with a clean cloth and now the fan is OK.

You could replace the fan or live without the timer part by putting a link between the switch live and permanent live at the fan. Thus the fan would come on a go off when the via the light switch.
Am I going mad, or dreaming,or what? I'm sure that I responded to an identical suggestion from you recently - was that a different thread?

Anyway, to repeat my previous response, if one did as you suggest, then both the fan and light would be on permanently, regardless of the switch, wouldn't they (the link having bypassed the switch)? To achieve what I presume you intended, one would have to put in the link on the fan, but also remove the permanent live feed to the fan, and terminate it safely somewhere.

Kind Regards, John

Yes there are two similar threads.

Riveralt means the live and switched live terminals - i.e. both to SL, not connect the wires.

Yes there are two similar threads.
Glad I'm not going mad!
Riveralt means the live and switched live terminals - i.e. both to SL, not connect the wires.
Yes, I know - and, as I said, one would also have to remove and 'make safe' the permanent live (to avoid the L and S/L 'being connected' by the link). However, I really don't think that anyone who did not 'already know' would think that is what he was saying when he wrote (in both threads):
...by putting a link between the switch live and permanent live at the fan
(with no mention of removing the permanent live), do you?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back