Extractor fan wiring help needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've been trying to wire in my new Manrose timer extractor fan but without much success so I was really hoping someone could point out my amateurish mistake(s).

I've uploaded a photo of where I've got to and any pointers would be really appreciated. The cables are, clockwise from the top (i.e. twelve o'clock):
- to the light switch
- to the light bulb
- to the next light
- to the 3 pole isolation switch (which is then connected to the fan)
- from the previous light

I am trying to follow the diagram here

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/how-to/electrics/install-shower-extractor-fan

but clearly without much success. The light still works but the fan is silent. Any help would be really appreciated - I'm sick and tired of the sight of my loft. Please forgive the amateurism of the wiring.

Many thanks

Jamie

Sponsored Links
It looks right apart from the state of it.
You have e very long bare switched live conductor.

At the fan have you connected :
Brown to Permanent Live,
Black to Switched Live,
Grey to Neutral and
Sleeved bare to Earth?

Electrically, the connections are correct. The fan is not working because of some other problem at the isolator, fan or both.

The wiring in that box is a total disaster, and cannot be left like that.
There is a high risk of a line-earth short occurring on the top right cable.

You need earth sleeving on all of the earth wires.
There is far too much exposed copper on the ends of the wires
All of the wires are far too long - the grey coverings of the cable must enter the junction box so no inner wires are visible with the lid in place
The incoming cables must be properly secured to a joist or similar.

Sponsored Links
And the switched live from the switch and going to the fan (blacks) must be sleeved brown.
The grey used for the fan neutral must be sleeved blue.

You are going to need a multimeter to find out why your fan doesn't work.
Check the voltages at the fan first.
\

Hi both

Thank you for such speedy replies. I guess the good news is that the electrical connections are correct, the not so good news is that I'm shockingly bad at wiring. I have ordered one of the junction boxes that EFLI suggested and will amend immediately. Sorry.

The other bit of not so good news is that I therefore don't know why it doesn't work. The wiring at the fan is as suggested by EFLI, though there is no earth connection on the fan. What is the best way of seeing if the problem is with the isolation pull cord, would it be to bypass it and connect directly to the fan? It's a brand new switch, this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331220957517?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Well - As the light(s) work the problem is likely at the switch or fan.

The first thing to check is for a poor connection somewhere (switch or fan) or a snapped wire.
We usually say "Have you perhaps trapped the insulation under a screw?" but for some reason I don't think that is the problem here. :)

I think that's the only thing that I haven't done wrong! :)

I will check the connections at the switch and fan tomorrow

Could be a dicky fan...

Manrose are not known to be the best.

It works! I checked the connections at the switch and although they seemed fine I used some of my excellent wiring skills to bypass the switch and lo and behold, the fan worked! I rewired the switch back in and the great news was that it carried on working, so all I need to do now is tidy up my shoddy workmanship (apologies again) and thank all of you kind sirs for all your help.

Another satisfied customer :D

It's not the users of this forum to whom you should be apologising - we won't be the ones living in your potential death-trap.

How about saying sorry to your fellow householders for creating a dangerous situation in the first place?

Don't wish to seem harsh but if the fan had worked first time, you'd be none the wiser and would think you are OK with electrics. As someone who had a friend who died like this, I know how stupid you have been. Sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back