Extractor Fan Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a small extension built which has a bathroom in it. I had requested that the extractor had a humidistat installed to ensure it would run until the room was clear from the shower. I was told this was done.

I have just opened up the fan case to see how to adjust the humidistat settings as it isn't doing g a great job. From what I can see the fan doesn't have a humidistat, just a timer, which would explain why it always runs for the same amount of time. I'm annoyed at this but the way things have gone with the build I don't think I'm going to get anywhere with the electrician.

So, considering the cost of a reasonable humidistat and timer controlled fan, I was going to replace it myself. However I need to understand the wiring.

The fan has its own isolator and is triggered when the light switch is turned on. The cable is 3 core plus an earth.

Before I buy anything, what I wanted was for the fan to come on when the light is turned on, or when humidity reaches a certain level. Is this possible? If not is it easy/correct to bypass the light switch so that the fan is controlled only by the humidistat?

Hope that makes sense

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Before I buy anything, what I wanted was for the fan to come on when the light is turned on,
Ok. Permanent live from the light to Permanent live on the fan
Switched live from the light to Switched live on the fan
Neutral to Neutral
Earth from the light to a connector block safely positioned in the fan.

or when humidity reaches a certain level. Is this possible?
A fan with an integral humidistat will do that.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back