extractor fan with timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i removed old extractor fan from bathroom it only had two wires connected to it red and black it worked of a pull cord. i would like to wire a new extractor fan with timer and it does not switch on with the old wiring layout also i would like it to come on with the light switch pull cord

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:fan :LOL:

or from a standard ceiling rose ( yours may be red and black not brown and blue depending on age )

View media item 13602 or old colours View media item 13604
the 2 core you have is no use.. except as a pull wire to pull in a new 3 core and earth

you need to connect the brown to 3 4 or 5, the grey ( sleeved blue ) to 6 or 7, and the black ( sleeved brown ) to 2.

at the fan you wire the brown to the L, the grey ( sleeved blue ) to the N, and the black ( sleeved brown ) to the SW ( switch ).

you should wire through a 3 pole fan isolator so you can turn the fan off to dust and clean it while still being able to have the light on...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back