Extractor hood ducting through flat(ish) roof

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to run a cooker hood extraction vent through a flatish (6 degree) roof. I've been on the Klober site and all the roof vents they show seem to be for roof space ventilation rather than mechanical extraction from a cooker hood or similar.

Roof is single ply rubber and the guy who installed it is lined up to fit whatever vent I want to buy so no worries there. I just don't know what type of vent I need or where to buy it. Can anyone suggest a suitable product?

Also, I'm guessing that I'll need to use metal ducting since the extracor will be above the cooker?

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
usually for domestic work 100mm soil pipe is used, treat as a soil vent pipe through the roof, and fit a 'mushroom' cowl on top of the pipe.

Thanks, I think I'll need a 125mm pipe as that is the output diameter on the cooker hood (instructions state narrower diameter pipe will cause issues).

Sounds like a basic plastic pipe with a mushroom cowl is an acceptable solution though?

Cheers,

iep

My roofer is also saying that a 100mm soil pipe is normal for extractor hoods. I don't mean to doubt but is seems odd to reduce the pipe diameter from the output of the extractor fan.

That said, if 100mm is used everywhere then I guess it works fine for most applications?

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
a 125mm fan is a bit quieter than a 100mm fan for the same throughput.

It sounds as if your hood is directly under the flat roof and has a very short vertical duct. this is really ideal for extraction so I think you will get a good flow of air even if you reduce to 100mm

You might be able to find a 150mm mushroom if you want it, but unless you have a commercial kitchen 100mm is quite normal.

• Thanks
Reactions: iep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back