F and e pumping over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone I'm Scott..I recently bought a house and decided to re plumb myself..fired up the heating for the first time today and found that the hot water was pumping out of the vent pipe in the attic into the f and e tank I thought the speed of the pump was mayb to high so ran it on speed one but this just slowed the water flow slightly coming from the vent I decided then to close the valve coming out of the f and e tank feeding the heating circuit and the water coming from the vent stopped..from this I think that the water is circulating in my f and e tank I drew out the way I have plumbed my heating circuit and will try upload the photo any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
image.jpg

The vent pipe is connected to the feed from the boiler; but the feed from the tank is connected to the return. The pump over is probably caused by the pressure difference between the two connection points as they are on opposite sides of the pump.

google "close coupled feed and vent"

Also check if your boiler requires a bypass.

And really there should be no valve on the cold feed at all.

Sponsored Links
Yup, look at the design specifics of a typical combined feed and vent system specifically the location of the pump in relation to the vent and feed pipes and distances between the vent and feed.

Thanks for your replys..I see that I should have my feed and vent closer to the boiler before the pump with it on the flow rather than the return as I have it...is there any other way of doing this rather than taking another 2 pipes to my boiler because it is situated outside and would be a lot of floorboard lifting lol...would a combined feed and vent work where I have my feed pipe in my drawing?

Thanks for your replys..I see that I should have my feed and vent closer to the boiler before the pump with it on the flow rather than the return as I have it...is there any other way of doing this rather than taking another 2 pipes to my boiler because it is situated outside and would be a lot of floorboard lifting lol...would a combined feed and vent work where I have my feed pipe in my drawing?

Why did you use F/E? What boiler do you have can it be sealed?

It's an oil boiler it can be sealed but wanted to keep it opened vented incase in the future I wanted to put in a back boiler stove

It's an oil boiler 70/90 I think not sure of the make if u need to know can find out

Looks like you've used an old configuration from 40 years ago.

Look for a diagram showing a "close coupled feed and vent (that is where the 2 pipes are within 150mm of each other so at the same pressure)" on the flow from the boiler directly followed by the pump. This is your best configuration. A combined feed and vent can be a pain to get the air out of.

I am in Northern Ireland the heating systems are usually oil boilers in the area I'm from...I think my easiest way out of this is to T the feed and vent together in the attic and keep the pump on the return as in picture am I right to think this?

It's that 'path of least resistance' scenario again!
I would seal it up, it's less agg and will keep your system water pristine (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back