F&E tank overflowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just "finished" a job where the f&e tank was hot and water was coming out of the overflow. I diagnosed it as the coil leaking in the cylinder. I isolated the feed to the f&e tank, leaving it a few days to double check - it continued to slowly overflow.

I've now changed the cylinder, and was called back when water came out of the overflow again. I noticed that when the heating was turned off, about 1/2 - 1 pint of water came out of the vent pipe. I also noticed that the water level before that was 1 inch under the overflow and the tank was holding 7 - 8 inches of water.

I changed the float to a part 2 but it's still only 1 to 2 inches below the overflow. I also turned the pump down to 2. Is it normal for a bit of water to be pumped over when the heating is switched off?

Does anyone have any suggestions should I get called back again - I know I could bend the valve down to reduce the level, but is there a problem that will return? I'm still believe I diagnosed the cylinder correctly as I had the feed turned off for a few days.

Graham

Sponsored Links
F & E water level should only have 4 ins max due to water expansion when heated :D

thanks mate. I was getting worried I'd changed the cylinder for no reason!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back