Fair boiler quote? and brand comparison

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have received the below quote for a replacement bolier and was hoping the kind and knowledgeable people on here, would give some feedback as to whether its a fair price and also, any opinions on the installers provided boiler options (my own leaning is to the Worcester 28i but i dont know if i've been 'brain-washed' by the current tv and radio advertising!)

we've used the installer for work before and have been pleased with his work (got from ratedpeople with excellent feedback)

it's a Semi-detached house in Manchester, North-West and current system has 8No Rad's (7 with trv's, one towel rail without). one shower/bath with mixer tap.

we'd like spare capacity to add a downstairs toilet/shower plus utility room in the future, which will probably require two small additional rads.

Job Involvement

Remove and dispose of old Baxi boiler in kitchen

Supply and Install new combi boiler in existing location

Connect pipework to existing hot and cold services as discussed

Connect central heating pipework as discussed

Route new condense pipe externally as discussed

Add plume kit for flue to exit fumes back on to your property

Hot flush system upon initial inspection stage

Add chemicals to central heating system for higher performance

Test, commission and certify boiler

All prices below is a full price of Total Job, inclusive of VAT

Job is complete with a wireless thermostat or easy use of heating control.

1. Worcester 30 KW (5 year Warranty – requires 22mm) £1850

2. Worcester 28i KW (2 year Warranty – requires 22mm) £1750

3. Vaillant Pro 28 KW (2 year Warranty – requires 15mm) £1700

4. Vaillant Pro 24 KW (2 year Warranty – requires 15mm) £1650

5. Ideal 30 KW (2 year Warranty – requires 15mm) £1550

many thanks for any feedback.

Sponsored Links
Budget boilers. If those are the only options the the vaillant is much better than the Worcester.

Assume those prices are because you already have a combi?

Also assume that the 15mm and 22mm reference is the gas pipe. But irrelevant as the pressure has to be correct regardless of the inlet pipe size.

Budget boilers. If those are the only options the the vaillant is much better than the Worcester.

Assume those prices are because you already have a combi?

Also assume that the 15mm and 22mm reference is the gas pipe. But irrelevant as the pressure has to be correct regardless of the inlet pipe size.

thanks for the reply.

yes already have a baxi combi 105 HE. existing gas pipe is 22mm. does that mean a boiler with 15mm connections can not be fitted?

Sponsored Links
I would always recommend Vaillant boilers.
The price seems good for this option.
If you want to be cheeky and squeeze a little more out... ask if the installer if they can put a magnatec filter in too for the same price :p
Don't forget to share the love by buying em a case of beer.... and saying thanks.
Important note dont forget put it in your diary....NOW
Usually, extended warrantees/guarantees are only valid if the appliance is serviced annually. Check the small print! Usually any gas safe engineer can carry out this work and complete the interval service record doc.... DONT LOSE THIS.
Seems to me that given the other information the gas service pipework is adequately sized for your appliance given that you have a semi (I will desist from making any smutty remarks) SEMI. The pipe reduces at the last 200mm from 22mm to 15mm where the gas feed enters the boiler.
Adding another two rads to the system shouldn't affect the performance of the boiler on ch mode.
However, note that combis sometimes struggle to provide adequate dhw (hot tap water) if two outlets are open at the same time.
Why is it that my wife orders me straight up to the shower after a long day crawling around beneath floors.... and as soon as I lather up wi shampoo the wash mac goes on and the the shower stops till the wash mac wi my mucky clothes fills?
If you are gonna add another shower you shoud consider this.

Oh> n just before you smart alecs reply... I wanna know why the wife puts the wash mac on.... not why the non thermo shower mixer stops.
PEV and simultaneous drop on cw and dhw pressure to the mixer:cool: HEY HEY HEY... ROCK N ROLL!

So my proposed installer has come back with this:

1. You currently have a 22mm gas pipe at your current boiler location so
this does not restrict you in terms of boiler manufacturer, hence all
boilers are listed. If you only 15mm gas at the current location, then
this would restrict you unless you upgraded the size of pipe but in your
case, you are fine and there is no need for additional work.

2. All the boilers would be sufficient for your possible additional works
but for the safe side, stick witht he higher end of KW (Kilowatts), ie the
28KW and 30KW. You can run any power shower of a combination boiler ad 2
x extra radiators will be fine.

I'm now tempted by the Worcester 30kw mainly becasue of the 5-year warranty. Is there a danger of oversizing? Would the extra 2kw be wasted?

The Intergas and Viessmann boilers also have a five year warranty.

Tony

If you use a Worcester accredited installer you will get a 7 year warranty.

You should ask for the exact model. You want to fit a Cdi classic. They are really well built and only £188 plus vat dearer then a 24i junior.

Do you have any other gas appliances? Fire cooker etc? How far is your gas meter from the boiler?

I may be wrong but to me the engineer sounds a little inexperienced with his pipe comments.

With a 30kw boiler, a cooker and a fire there is a good chance you will need 28mm from the meter but this would depend on how far away it is.

I would always recommend Vaillant boilers.
The price seems good for this option.
If you want to be cheeky and squeeze a little more out... ask if the installer if they can put a magnatec filter in too for the same price :p
Don't forget to share the love by buying em a case of beer.... and saying thanks.
Important note dont forget put it in your diary....NOW
Usually, extended warrantees/guarantees are only valid if the appliance is serviced annually. Check the small print! Usually any gas safe engineer can carry out this work and complete the interval service record doc.... DONT LOSE THIS.
Seems to me that given the other information the gas service pipework is adequately sized for your appliance given that you have a semi (I will desist from making any smutty remarks) SEMI. The pipe reduces at the last 200mm from 22mm to 15mm where the gas feed enters the boiler.
Adding another two rads to the system shouldn't affect the performance of the boiler on ch mode.
However, note that combis sometimes struggle to provide adequate dhw (hot tap water) if two outlets are open at the same time.
Why is it that my wife orders me straight up to the shower after a long day crawling around beneath floors.... and as soon as I lather up wi shampoo the wash mac goes on and the the shower stops till the wash mac wi my mucky clothes fills?
If you are gonna add another shower you shoud consider this.

Why would he take a pay cut?

[/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back