Fair price for a partial rewire of a 1 bed flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I received a quote for the following extra work (on top of a quote to fit new smoke/heat alarms, EICR & PAT tests, Instal new RCD consumer unit, Instal extractor fans in kitchen and bathroom):

• Replace/rewire old VIR/VRI cable to 7-8 light sockets, 1 cooker and 1 water heater.
Although I've been told they may only be able to rewire the water heater from the new RCD to the water heater controller (less than 1 meter away) and not all the way to the water heater itself because that might involve ripping up new laminate flooring.

They are also only going to use existing or new trunking or try to feed through existing holes in walls etc for the job so no plastering over etc.

The flat is completely empty and they have as much time as they need to do within reason.

The quote for just the extra work is £600. Is this over priced bearing in mind that it's only a partial rewire and it should only take realistically max 1 day for the electrician and his helper to complete the rewire? I can't imagine materials will be that expensive given that I'm already paying separately/additionally for the new RCD unit.

Sponsored Links
Sounds ok for a lighting rewire, and new cables a cooker and a water heater circuit.

BUT, who only partially rewires a water heater circuit.

Why only rewire part of the water heating circuit?

If it NEEDS rewiring, then you rewire what NEEDS doing.

Trunking has been mentioned already, if finding a route for new wiring is proving difficult, then trunking can be used.

It seems a little bit unbelievable that lighting, water heating and cooker is all still in VIR - though by no means impossible.

Pictures would be extremely helpful to answer your question fully.

Your profile does not state your location. This may have a bearing on the cost.

Electrical work in Kings Road, Chelsea is much more expensive than electrical work in Kings Road, Stoke-on-Trent for example (sorry Stoke!).

Just to clarify that the £600 quote is for rewiring only. It's not for a new cooker or new water heater. Just rewiring of these and the lighting.

Does £600 still sound like a fair price? I was thinking that's like approx. £500 for possibly 1 days labour (for 1 spark and helper), assuming max £100 for materials.

He suggested that VIR cable might not be as likely to break away for the water heater compared to their hrs because of the lower power/heat.

Should I insist on a trunking solution if he tries to avoid rewiring the water heater?

Sponsored Links
Any pictures of this 'VIR/VRI' cable? or even just of the property/layout if to get a feel for these 8 lights in a one-bed flat? what's the floor area? and how many light switches? £600 sounds ok to me but there's so many variables.

I'll try to get some photos. I did see some of the VRI cable though and it did look like brown shoe laces starting to fray. Although another spark who quoted did a quick insulation test and the one he tested came back with 76m ohm which is apparently well above the minimum required.

There are 7 lights with 8 switches. The hall light is controlled by 2 switches.

I did receive another quote from another electrician for almost half the price but he was a lot less experienced and didn't have NICEIC or Select membership. I was tempted to go with him due to the cost as he did talk a good game but my I thought better of taking any chances.

If it's not PVC/PVC with an earth then rewiring is the way to go. Price sounds cheap to me for 7 lights/8 switch drops and cooker and water heater circuit, maybe about right as other work going on and place is empty. Materials will cost more than £100 I think unless very short distances and poor quality gear. Bit about not fully rewiring the water heater circuit sounds dodgy... TRS doesn't like excess heat or sunlight IIRC

At the time we didn't even think about the electrics when getting new flooring put in. We had a baby on the way and moving into a new house, my head was all over the place.

With hindsight should have factored in future work and planned in the right order. Lesson learnt!

I guess I'm just trying to reassure myself that it's a fair price for the work, which it sounds as though it probably is based on initial responses.

It's a pretty small 1 bed flat (just under ~30m2) with lowish ceilings, but they are solid concrete.

Rough guide would be 1 hour per item, 8 lights is 16 (light and switch), plus 2 for the cooker and heater, so 18 items / 18 hours, possibly done in 1 long day with 2 persons.
2 days labour + materials, so £600 is certainly possible.

They are also only going to use existing or new trunking or try to feed through existing holes in walls etc for the job so no plastering over etc.
That should result in a lot less mess and subsequent repair, but doesn't necessarily reduce the amount of labour involved. Cutting a vertical chase in a wall for a light switch typically only takes a few minutes, attempting to pull wires through old conduits etc. may actually take longer in some cases.

I'll try to get some photos. I did see some of the VRI cable though and it did look like brown shoe laces starting to fray. Although another spark who quoted did a quick insulation test and the one he tested came back with 76m ohm which is apparently well above the minimum required.

There are 7 lights with 8 switches. The hall light is controlled by 2 switches.

I did receive another quote from another electrician for almost half the price but he was a lot less experienced and didn't have NICEIC or Select membership. I was tempted to go with him due to the cost as he did talk a good game but my I thought better of taking any chances.

Please check that your electrician is a member of NICEIC or Select, as we have already had a post from a guy living in Glasgow who had a non compliant job done by a fraudulent electrician who had all the appropriate logos on his van !

£600 seems a fair price.

Regards,

DS

I checked the 2 website lists for NICEIC and Select and his name appears on both.

I've not asked for ID or anything like that to confirm who he says he is, but 1 of the phone numbers listed on the Select site matches the mobile number I've been contacting him on.

I'm guessing that's enough of a check?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back