Fair quote? (boiler)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Worcester bosch 28i jnr combi boiler (for a 1 bedroom flat).

Straight swop/no pipework. No power flush but a 'warm chemical flush' (??).

£1500 is contribution from ECO Affordable Warmth & £800 customer contribution, so £2300 which seems a lot.

Given that it was advertised as a free replacement boiler, I'm wondering if the installation company is actually bumping up the price and getting the extra from me.

Sponsored Links
how much would you pay to have hot water and a comfortable temperature in your house...?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure about the midlands, but in London where I am, I could quote £1500 - £1600 with no frills and win that job all day long

thats the point... any price is wrong for heating and hot water...so it doesn't really matter what people pay!

glad you go the point!

One would hope the gas pipe was the correct size of course. But with drainage nearby we would be in the ball park, maybe under; but of course wouldn't be fitting a POS budget boiler like the Junior.

I agree with Alec, prices over the forum are pretty pointless.

Balls to working on ECO anyway. Not sure why people think they should be entitled to free boilers? :evil:

One would hope the gas pipe was the correct size of course. But with drainage nearby we would be in the ball park, maybe under; but of course wouldn't be fitting a POS budget boiler like the Junior.

I agree with Alec, prices over the forum are pretty pointless.

Balls to working on ECO anyway. Not sure why people think they should be entitled to free boilers? :evil:
Interested in your comment on the budget boiler - is the Worcester a dud? As a layman I'd have no idea.

As for your question at the end, you might as well ask why people think they should be entitled to free money eg various unemployment /disability benefits, pensions etc; or free prescriptions... or bus passes; or why we (via our government) give freebies to tsunami /famine victims.

But is a plumbing forum really the right place for a debate on the pros & cons of a welfare system?

Why should you bellyache about the installers milking the same system then?

If you asked a proper installer then he would indeed give you a far cheaper price for a decent job and boiler of your choice....But your contribution would be higher......It's your choice!

But is a plumbing forum really the right place for a debate on the pros & cons of a welfare system?

No it isn't and seeing as this is a DIY advice forum it's not the place to be asking about pricing from a professional. There are other websites for that like money saving expert.
Now if you wanted advice on changing a tap washer you would have probably got a nicer response.

I seem to have stuck my head above the parapet and broken etiquette.

I'm slinking back off to the closed forum :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back