Fair quote for changing a few rads if I'm the one supplying?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
* change 2 rads which are like for like - same dimensions.
* change 1 rad which goes from 950x600 double-single to 900x600 double-double - this may or may not require the (10mm copper) pipe work to be modified.
* change valves on all 3 rads
* only 1 of the above rads is currently on the wall, the other 2 aren't as part of ongoing work
* inhibitor in to system.
* ALL rads & ALL valves are already purchased & supplied by me.
* obviously draining & re-pressuring system

Fair price for the above?

We've been quoted £200 day-rate which i thought was a bit steep (i'm based oop norf, not down souf).

The reason i thought it was steep was because for £360 inc VAT we had a plumber out who supplied & fitted 2 new rads & new valves for each - both bigger than what's being fitted here & the big rad (1800x600) certainly needed the floorboards lifting & the pipe work chopping & re-soldering/positioning). He started i think around 9am & finished at 12pm.

Looking at the place i suspect he bought it from, the 1800x600 comes in at £202.74 inc VAT (so whatever he'd get it at trade) & the 900x600 he supplied comes in at £87.54 inc VAT (so again, whatever he'd likely get that at trade). Both Purmo rads.

So my idea of this £200 being a bit steep is only based on what the first guy charged for the work he did.

I know it'll be asked - "why don't you get the first guy out" .... we tried & he was supposed to be coming but he never did. Tried getting in touch but he's not returned the contact so i don't know if he's fallen ill or whatever. We've been put on to this second guy by the boss of the job we're having done at our house at the moment.

If the price is reasonable then fair enough, if not then we'll look elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound over the top to me really. You might be able to get it cheaper but then will they do as good a job? (not that his price guarantees he will). Will the cheaper guy suddenly not turn up? Either way you won't save much off that price I'd guess.

If you've got someone recommended who you can rely on then pay the price for it is my advice.

Do you mean he has quoted £200 for the job, or as I think we all presume, £200 a full day? £200 a day is certainly not expensive, if he is a bona fide tax paying tradesman.

What is more important is what constitutes "a day". If he is there for 3 hours or, say 6 hours, what will he charge? Those are the questions one should be asking before the event rather than whinging after. Personally, I never start a job without explaining the rules. If the client does not like them, I'd rather know before I get there with my gear.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't be here asking the question if i did know the cost would i :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::whistle:

So in short what you're saying is...

The first guy who supplied & fitted was in your view, doing it for free.

Well, is that any more contentious than saying £200 is a bit steep? You have asked a question from tradesmen but I sense you don't want to hear the answer.

Looking at the place i suspect he bought it from, the 1800x600 comes in at £202.74 inc VAT (so whatever he'd get it at trade) & the 900x600 he supplied comes in at £87.54 inc VAT (so again, whatever he'd likely get that at trade). Both Purmo rads

This is the most pointless thread. You don't know for sure where the rads came from, or by how much discount he benefited from, if any.

What you are really asking is if 200 notes is too much for labour.?
If you think it is too much, get another quote(s). We have no idea of access, parking, the state of your property, or any other consideration.

I wouldn't be here asking the question if i did know the cost would i :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::whistle:

How much would you charge?

Is £200 expensive when you consider fuel, insurance, public liability insurance, training, cost of tools, tax, mortgage, feeding and clothing kids?

In my opinion £200 is far too cheap.

But if it still sounds expensive then you could always try to do it yourself.

As a rough guide to you, I'm from ooop North although other side of the country to you but if you were to have rang me and explained that job to me then I would charge you a fixed day rate without seeing the job.

I would definitely be done within the day and would like to be done within about 5 hours but I would still charge a day as my day will have been used up.

I understand that you are supplying the 3 x radiators, 3 x TRV and 3 x L/S valves. These would be fitted without any warranty whatsoever as you have supplied and should there be any parts missing/faulty or incorrect then additional time would be charged at an hourly rate to return to complete should that be needed. Is there a reason you want to assume this responsibility?

I charge £300 per day and £60 p/h should it be needed and would also charge you an additional £17.49 for X100 inhibitor as you haven't mentioned supplying that.

All of the above would be subject to your drain off points being in working order, the cold feed to system is in working order and is not blocked and the heating system being fully functional on arrival Should there be any issues with these then additional parts will be charged to rectify unless you wish to supply. If waiting for you to get parts then, should the day run over 8 hours, then the hourly rate would be incurred.

I would also supply:

*the fixings,
*PTFE,
*jointing compound,
*7mm SDS drill bit,
*solder,
*flux,
*MAPP gas,
*flux brush,
*10mm copper,
*10mm copper fittings,
*dust sheets,
*assume liability for any damage that may be caused unless your supplied materials were the cause,
*remove waste from site and pay for waste carriers licence,
*all hand and power tools to complete the job,
*put fuel in the van,
*insure the van,
*pay tax,
*pay the accountant,
*pay the phone bill,
*allowance for van repair, maintenance and replace,
*allowance for tool repair, calibration and replace,
*allowance for sick pay,
*allowance for holiday pay,
*allowance for 3k for ACS,
*yearly membership fees to GS,
*wages to put food on the table, pay the mortgage and all other expenses that you would pay from you're PAYE wage that you receive every week/month,
*company profit to continue trading
**oh and most important of all......my knowledge and skill set.**

(the above is not exhaustive and there will be many I've missed but it was a quick list)

If you were to supply all of the above instead then I would be willing to do it for £100 cash and you pick me up and drop me off.

£200 still sound "a bit steep" now?

Jon

£200 inc vat? You'd only get half a day out of me for that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back