Fan Flue Terminations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are the clearances for concentric fan flues to openings/windows etc measured from the exhaust or from the air intake?

My contractor has fitted flues less than 4" from a window but argues that as there is a plumeing kit on it taking it 300mm away, it is ok. Is he right or is he trying to pull the wool over my eyes?

Sponsored Links
Most condenceing boilers are now intoduceing plumeing kits which in some cases bosts 6m in length. They fix on the flue outlet but remember the nusance factor it can cause in some cases. ;) ;)

Check manufacturers instructions but 300mm is a certainty. However I have not used one of the boilers which takes a sock that diverts flu gasses up, perhaps the manufacturers instructions in such cases say different to 300mm, you must check them. All doculmentation especially Manufactureres service and installation instructions must be left with you the client, to keep safe.

Sponsored Links
Are the clearances for concentric fan flues to openings/windows etc measured from the exhaust or from the air intake?

My contractor has fitted flues less than 4" from a window but argues that as there is a plumeing kit on it taking it 300mm away, it is ok. Is he right or is he trying to pull the wool over my eyes?
my contractor
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: this is a DIY forum not a flaming info site
do your ACS

and here was me thinking I would get some constructive answers kev

ps. Just been to resit ACS on CCN1 and COCN1, have ALL appliances and am an external verifier however even us smart a***s need a little guidance from time to time.

Well, why on earth didn't you check manufacturers instructions or phone the manufacturer?

I can hear my assessor saying "manufacturers instructions"

I can hear corgi technical man on end of phone saying "what does the manufacturer say?" (well if I had time to wait to end of the music)

Please let us know what the manufacturer said who they are specifics of adaptation, so we can all learn?

Was at Vaillant today. They say that if you use a diverter kit then the end of the diverter is where the distances count. The first bit is becomes just an air intake and clearances do not apply. Good news.

That is good news, now we just need a few more manufacturers to make them.

Penpusher, you do right to be an assesor, the sharp end of the job is so tightly restricted many of us are considering a new career.

Actually a local assessor actually said to me and another corgi guy "you know what you blokes should do? let your corgi drop and just carry on doing the job" he meant it.

Vaillants 'Variable termination kit' and Glowworms 'Divertor kit' are identical apart from the badge and strangly enough, the price!

blahblah said:
The first bit is becomes just an air intake and clearances do not apply.
There is a clearance figure that might still apply, namely the 150mm (fanned flue) and 300mm (natural draught flue) clearances from an opening in the building structure, even if the opening contains an unopenable window. I understand that this clearance is required to avoid weakening the structure of the opening, so would apply equally to flues and air intakes.

Point taken Chris. What was actually said was that the 300 (we were talking fan flue) doesn't apply so you could get a bit closer. Sorry to mislead.

Extension of the exhaust (60mm plastic) that allows you to put the exhaust pipe somewhere else on the building, eg if you have a flue facing a boundary and too close you can run it up and away!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back