Fascia/Soffit paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings,

I've just moved into a 1905 house; it's got wooden fascias/soffits and decorative barge boards. The paint is peeling and the gutter has dropped, so it needs some loving; it's a characterful house so I don't really wants to rip it out or clad in uPVC.

I'm going to get some scaffolding erected and repair the surface with putty and replacement wood before painting.

Assuming I scrape, sand, undercoat/prime and use two top coats - are there any recommendations? I was going to go with something like Dulux Weathershield, but I don't really know my arse from my elbow with paint.

Sponsored Links
Use the trade weathershield your get a few more years out of it.

Guttering isn't too expensive, why not go for the black ogee style to add to the features that exist.

No sure why your using putty, thats a bit old scool :) I'd suggest a external caulk, or sealant or a two part filler.

Ah great cheers - I'll go ahead with the Weathershield trade then; I'm guessing I won't need the 1st step (the preservative) as it's been painted before. Good call with the ogee guttering, I'd not seen that before and it looks ideal.

Well two-part wood filler is what I meant when I said putty. :)

Ah great cheers - I'll go ahead with the Weathershield trade then; I'm guessing I won't need the 1st step (the preservative) as it's been painted before. Good call with the ogee guttering, I'd not seen that before and it looks ideal.

Well two-part wood filler is what I meant when I said putty. :)

if you are going to paint over the filler Use a large tin of car body sealer more economical !
Dig out the rotted wood and treat with wood hardener first.

Sponsored Links
I'll certainly be painting, so that's good advice, cheers.

I'll scrape the existing failing paint.
Cut out any bad wood.
Sand with 40 grit.
Apply Wood hardener to bad bits, and fill.
Paint!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back