Faulty Divertor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Sorry for my 1st post to be a problem but have been lurcking for a while.

We have a boiler, programmer and stat. Boiler comes on for hot water via settings every day no problem. Fired up heating 2 weeks ago before cold sets in no problem also.

Last night was abit nippy so put heating on to take away chill in kids bedrooms but nothing. Kept turning the stat but nothing. Having read on here I looked at the divertor valve near the cylinder upstairs. It was to the left so manually moved it to the right. With that the boiler fired up and heating. It has since moved back to give hot water again which is good but won't move back to heating unless done manually.

My question is does doing this manually cause a problem? It seems that the divertor has a slight fault but is obviously not kaput. I can't see anything on the silver divertor with a brand but everything else is Honeywell.

Sponsored Links
Depending on valve make and model it is possible to replace parts.In all honesty unless its just the motor its usually best to replace the valve.It may be siezed and to repair correctly you need to drain and replace parts in the valve body and although its easy for us it may be beyond a diyer.If in doubt get the valve replaced and expect approx a £100 bill.
I've just seen that its a Honeywell valve you have.Depending on age you can replace the powerhead as a spare.(the silver cover will have a dimple)or you can replace the ball assembly.

is the motor just the part that makes the valve switch? Basically I'm just asking if moving it manually is ok until the whole thing dies or will it do more harm then good.

I assume the £100 bill would be for a full valve replacement as I can't see anywhere that sell just the top silver bit.

Sponsored Links
If your valve is a 4073a then any good heating suppliers will have these.
The motor moves the ball assy to open/close the hw and ch ports,and also it needs to move far enough to operate microswitch.£100 should get you a new valve fitted.

Many thanks for your help - how do I identify what the model number is. I can't see anything on it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back