Faulty Pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, first time poster and I must confess my DIY skills are lacking in nearly all the relevant areas! I wanted to mine the wealth of knowledge on here and would really appreciate the advice.

I have just moved into a rented property with a Valliant Ecotech pro 24 combi. It was fitted in 2011 and operates soundly except for one problem. The radiator in my main lounge goes lukewarm to cool after a period of 1 to 1 and half hours and stays that way, despite the heating being on and all the other radiators being at full heat.

The landlord has a British Gas Homecare agreement so they sent an engineer around yesterday. He said it was a 'process of elimination'. He serviced the boiler and said there was no problem and he changed the thermostatic valve on the radiator in question.

However, the problem persists until I switched the heating off from the main thermostat and then switched it on again, and the radiator fired up and started getting warm! With my limited knowledge I am thinking this may be a circulation or pump issue? Should I wait until it completely packs in? It is very difficult to have the radiator timed to go cool exactly for when British Gas arrive.

Sponsored Links
It's for your landlord to sort this out. It will help if you can describe the symptoms well

The symptoms are that the radiator goes from hot to lukewarm and remains cool until the heating is switched off and then on. The Landlord had British Gas homecare but they can't seem to work out what is causing it. I just wanted to know if I should wait until the radiator completely packs it in before calling them so it might be easier to diagnose.

turn all the other rads off, does it get hot then? if yes then the system probably needs balancing, could be a weak pump or clogged impellor. needs more than 5 mins to suss it out.

serviced the boiler? stuck an anlayser in it? 10 mins?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice! He spent a good 40 mins servicing the boiler and said it was in good nick. When I explained how the rad would go hot again once the heating was turned off and then on he also said it may be a weak pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back