Featheredge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I had some 7 inch tanalised featheredge delivered today and not sure if its any good. It has one rough side and one smoother but badly cut so this would have to be the unseen side. The thing im confused about is that on about half of them the rough side is on the side that curves in and vice versa with the others.
Anyone think I should send half back, or can you hang them with some "heart out" and some "heart in".
Hope somone can understand what i'm on about.

Sponsored Links
I doubt you'll notice when it's up and weathered.

Sponsored Links
Hang them all with the right angle with its back to the wall.

sheds and fences are not expected to be planed smooth and french-polished. They are expected to be rough sawn and slapped over with preserver or stain. A few weeks of sun and rain will soon have the grain up on the smooth side.

Its not for a fence, this is a bit better quality (or supposed to be). Its used on houses, oast houses, barn conversions and those posh car ports. The smoother side wouldnt hold preserver or wood stain as its too smooth and they will never look right as they have big scores from the blade.
So the only option is to hang them with some curving in and some out. The curve isnt that big so im wondering if anyone thinks there would be any likely problems in doing this?

Even featheredge cladding is not expected to be elegant. If you want posh, get Shiplap. Featheredge is rustic.

Featheredge should be fitted with the flat side to the wall.

Spirit based preserrver will soak into rough or smooth timber.

Did you believe us when we said that the weather would soon roughen up your smooth sides?

Why do you want to mount the curves so that the boards will stick out or crack when the weather changes?

how much did you pay for it?

You got cheap "crap" cladding, perfectly fine for sheds n fences, if you paid a higher price then I would take issue.

What JohnD says is true, the vast majority of feather edge is cheap and cheerful.

Get a belt sander on it. It does sound a bit shoddy having deep saw marks though. Probably been cut twice, as 7" is quite deep for featheredge.
I bought some 6" for my shed from champion timber and it was good as gold.
Have you taken up with the supplier about it?

Sorry I couldnt get online over the weekend.

I could believe that weather will bring out the grain but the place should be going up for sale soon so I cant afford to wait.

I went back and had a look at the wood after reading your comments. Turns out the crappy side IS flat, the face (rough) side is either concave or convex (if thats the right words) but the back is always flat which I hadn't realised. So I imagine it should be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back