Feature Wall papering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been wallpapering for many years now, in fact since age 7 when my dad had me pasting the paper for him! But never done feature wall before.

What do people think is the best order to do it? Feature wall first or last? Am using Wall Doctor lining on 3 walls then emulsion them. If I do those first, and turn them round corners, as it's quite thick paper it will leave a line when I then put on the (thinnish) feature wallpaper. But if I put the feature wallpaper on first and turn it round the corner, the line won't be so visible under the Wall Doctor but then have the pain of trying not to get paint on the feature wallpaper. Even as I type this I see Feature Wall first seems to make more sense, but just wanted to check I wasn't missing something obvious.

Any hints gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Finished wall paper will always be last to be done. All lining done first, cut into the corner. Run a bit of caulking down the edge and let it dry. Paint all the walls going on the feature wall a couple of inches then paper the wall.

Thanks v much for advice. Have never cut into corners before so hadn't even thought of that. Off to buy caulking tmrw!

All paper should be cut into the corners even if your carrying on around the room. Each wall should be plumbed level to keep things straight !

Sponsored Links
Sorry, think I misunderstood "cutting into corner" to mean cutting at the corner not taking it round by a cm as I always do. Anyways, caulk bought, only picture rail to go up, huge 1980s fitted wardrobes to be painted, then on to the papering. Thanks again for advice.

Sorry for the confusion, yes I did mean to cut it tight to the corner then seal edge with caulk. paint paper onto feature wall about two inches, then paper feature wall back to each corner so there isn't any double thickness of paper on the edges. If you were papering the whole room, the paper would need cutting into each corner and taken around about a cm, before plumbing the next length on the new wall.

Thank you again, that's so clear. Love wallpapering, hate the prep, so far taken 10 days to hack out rubbish corners and refill to right angles (1870s house) - should have shares in Polyfilla! Cut tight to corner - that's the bit I'll hate. See people on YouTube doing cuts ceiling/skirting with snap-off blade tools, tried those still tear paper. Amateur! Have to stick with scissors. (Not in any way looking for more pro advice!).

See people on YouTube doing cuts ceiling/skirting with snap-off blade tools, tried those still tear paper. Amateur! Have to stick with scissors. (Not in any way looking for more pro advice!).

Oh, yes, you are! ;)

The snap-off blade knives are fine, and the softer caulk that you will be pressing against to cut will help avoid rips, but a good method when cutting any edges with a knife is to use a straight edge pressed firmly against the paper to cut along. A 10" taping knife or wallpaper edging tool are a wise investment for this job, but snap off a blade after every few cuts because they do lose their edge quickly.

image_7303.jpg

0271080_L.jpg

Snappy blade, tick. Wallpaper edging tool, tick. Afraid that just leaves operator error (sad face which doesn't appear on IPad). But thanks so much for advice, gives me confidence if I just keep practising maybe I'll get there!

I get my 18 mm blades from Toolstation, a packet of 10, which have 6 little blades on each are only 88 pence. The handle is only 94 pence. You can snap off a new blade for every cut and it will slice through. Just take your time, use a straight edge as Misterhelpful has said and you will be ok.

Thanks Robbie uk, next time near Toolstation will stock up. Sent OH off yesterday 90 min round trip to nearest hardware shop to buy caulking (plus tenon saw to cut picture rail mitres). The joys of living in remote West Coast Scotland villages.

Seriously guys, really appreciate you taking the time to answer questions.

As above, but just to add, as you are cutting only move the straight edge and NOT the blade, keep the blade on the paper at all times.

You could just line the feature wall first, too, so you won't have the join that concerns you (if I understood your original post correctly)

For a feature wall I would take a centre line, then take a centre line of the wallpaper so you have the same measurement of wallpaper over laping your wall centre line, then the wallpaper will finish off in the corners with the same pattern and the main centre line will not stand out when the job is finished

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back