felt roof problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a detached flat roof garage with 2 layer felt, green mineral top. I fitted it about 8 years ago and bonded it so getting it off is not an option.
It is beginning to crack and I have had to bodge it to stop leaks.
The decking is external ply screwed to the joists.

Can I simply bond a new layer of felt (polymer based?) on top?

Sponsored Links
Why is it cracking?

If there is water damage inside the roof then the lot has to come off.

Perhaps post a couple of pics?

It's cracking along the seam between 2 decking boards. Theres no damage to the boards as I caught the leak quickly and did a temp repair to the crack. The rest of the roof covering is still sound although the edge returns are beginning to perish

Sponsored Links
I am now retired from roofing, but when I started all those years ago the most common spec was 3 layers. 1st layer nailed 2nd layer bonded in bitumen and 3rd layer green mineral or chippings and it seemed to last longer than todays 2 layer specs. You can overlay the existing but you need to prime the surface first. I would wait for winter then strip off the old felt and do a 3 layer spec. Nail the first layer at 6" - 12" centres then proceed as usual. The reason for nailing is timber, even ply, expands and contracts, thats probably the reason your roof felt has split, the plywood sheets are probably butted up to each other to tightly and there is no room to move. And also use a good quality felt, theres plenty of good stuff on the market.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back