Felt roofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I woke up this morning to a massive leak coming through my bathroom window and it looked like it originated from the top of the window frame. As the rain poured down, so did the leak. So I called out window repaires/builders who examined the window and told me the window was sound and the leak isn't due to a dodgy window. The builders went outside and were having trouble finding where the water was coming from until they lifted up some roof tiles above the bathroom window and found that the felt had large holes in it, even though the felt was dry. They could only presume the rain was coming through the holes in the felt and running down to the top of the bathroom window and coming through this way.

I haven't got a lot of money and I'm dreading the expense this is going to cost. I know next to nothing about this type of work and would appreciate someone who can advise me on prices. How much does this type of work cost? The builder has no idea how far back the new felt must go because it was chucking it down when he was examining the roof. My guttering also needs cleaning if this makes any difference.

Im curious but if the water was coming through the holes in the felt and through the window - wouldn't the felt itself be wet? Or around the holes wet? The builders admitted the felt was dry but has big holes in it. Im confused.

Thank you for your help

PS I already posted this in building by mistake so sorry if you've read it twice. :D

I have removed the duplicate post.

Please read the forum rules (9)

Sponsored Links
Get the gutters cleared and then get a hose on the roof to see if it happens again. If water is overflowing on the inside of the blocked gutter then it could be coming down the top of the wall through the wall cavity.
The felt should be a second layer 'backup' in case tiles slip or get damaged. Lots of houses don't even have felt (we don't) and yet are perfectly watertight. The only other option could be that the tiles are laying at too low a pitch.

Hi Deluks and thanks for your reply. I will definitely do that. I went up into my loft a few hours ago to have a look for any holes in the felt and I have found 6 jagged almost ripped holes in the felt. Some I couldn't tell if they were leaking but one around the boiler chimney is very big and I can see the roof tiles - I touched the tiles and it was wet. But its in the wrong place for the bathroom window as this chimney for the boiler is over the back bedroom which overlooks the back garden. :confused:

I think I might get another builder out to have a look as well to be on the safe side. I examined the leak earlier and where the wooden frame is right at the top of the window where the leak is coming from, say roughly a hands width away from this on the ceiling there is a large black circle. It doesn't feel wet more slight damp and it does seem to "trail" to the top of the window that is leaking.

Thank you again

Sounds like you need to call a competant roofer - not a builder (as like the previous one said he has no idea.)

Sponsored Links
It may also be caused by driving rain onto the top of the window if it hasn't happened before. Do as Deluks suggested with the hosepipe and it should let you know where it is getting in.

Sounds like the gutter is spilling out backwards down the cavity due to unusually ferocious rain. It may only happen once every ten years.

So am I right in presuming that if the rain was coming through the roof felt then the felt itself would be wet or at least the holes in the felt would be wet?

Yes I will try a roofer on Monday and arrange to have the guttering cleaned too. How much does it cost to have the guttering cleaned? It will need to be done front and back of the house right?

Thank you all again.

Shade said:
So am I right in presuming that if the rain was coming through the roof felt then the felt itself would be wet or at least the holes in the felt would be wet?

Yes I will try a roofer on Monday and arrange to have the guttering cleaned too. How much does it cost to have the guttering cleaned? It will need to be done front and back of the house right?

Thank you all again.

Guttering shouldn't cost a lot to clean. You need a ladder and some marigolds. Some window cleaners do it as an extra service.

The felt itself is waterproof so I can't see that if it was wet that it would stay that way for long.

Hi Deluks,

Thank you again for your reply. I had a builder who came out a few hours ago. He needs a scaffold to clean the guttering out back because I have a conservatory. Do you know how much it would cost for a scoffolding? He didn't say as he's also going to re-roof and timbre a area where the coalhouse and toilet is outside. I should hear from him tomorrow in regards to the price of the roof and timbre but I dont think hes including the price of the guttering and scaffold as he said its a completely different job.

Hi Deluks,

Thank you again for your reply. I had a builder who came out a few hours ago. He needs a scaffold to clean the guttering out back because I have a conservatory. Do you know how much it would cost for a scoffolding? He didn't say as he's also going to re-roof and timbre a area where the coalhouse and toilet is outside. I should hear from him tomorrow in regards to the price of the roof and timbre but I dont think hes including the price of the guttering and scaffold as he said its a completely different job.
i know this reply is a bit late but whats the harm in asking him how much it costs, you wont know until you ask :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back