felt-tip stain on projector screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have used a felt-tip on a regular projection screen. Has this ever happened to anyone? Is there a way to remove the stain without damaging the fabric of the screen?

Sponsored Links
depends what type of ink the felt tip uses.

try washing up liquid and water

hair spray

WARNING

use a cotton bud taht way you only do a small bit at atime

careless - water-based pen ink will wipe off with a damp cloth but can, if left a while, leave a tinted residue. Use a proprietary white-board cleaner (Eddings do one). Obtained from stationary merchant or educational supplier (they use a lot of white-boards in schools). Spirit-based ink is more problematic as you have to discover the correct solvent. If you have the offending pen, make a mark on a scrap of glass or plastic, let the ink dry well. Then you have to try a range of solvents to see which one'll work - meths, surgical spirit, white spirit/turps, lighter fuel, petrol, one of which should work (it's more often than not meths). If they all fail then you'll have to, as a last resort, use carbon tetrachloride. Of course there is no guarantee that the board surface won't be damaged by DIY attempts. Maybe a visit to your local janitorial supply company for help - they have vast ranges of all sorts of cleaners & solvents, and experience.

Sponsored Links
careless - water-based pen ink will wipe off with a damp cloth but can, if left a while, leave a tinted residue. Use a proprietary white-board cleaner (Eddings do one). Obtained from stationary merchant or educational supplier (they use a lot of white-boards in schools). Spirit-based ink is more problematic as you have to discover the correct solvent. If you have the offending pen, make a mark on a scrap of glass or plastic, let the ink dry well. Then you have to try a range of solvents to see which one'll work - meths, surgical spirit, white spirit/turps, lighter fuel, petrol, one of which should work (it's more often than not meths). If they all fail then you'll have to, as a last resort, use carbon tetrachloride. Of course there is no guarantee that the board surface won't be damaged by DIY attempts. Maybe a visit to your local janitorial supply company for help - they have vast ranges of all sorts of cleaners & solvents, and experience.

Thanks a lot!!
I've also been told that the WD-40 Magic Pen could do the trick. I also found an online tip that says that acetone might wear the marks away. I'll try everything on Tuesday. I'll also try to find "washable" felt-tips; you see, I have a projector screen and a regular white-board and I'm constantly using felt-tips...
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back