Fence post spikes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Spike.jpg

Anyone know who sells these garden post spikes mail order and cheaper than B&Q or Wicks.
I have bought them in the past from www.cpc.co.uk but they no longer seem to stock them.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Builders merchants do generic ones. The Metpost branded ones are pretty much the same price everywhere and are the most expensive.

What will you be using them for?*

They don't work quite as easily as the marketing bumph would suggest.

* a fence probably, but what type, size etc

they are a pile of ****e and a waste of time effort and money imho

Sponsored Links
Builders merchants do generic ones. The Metpost branded ones are pretty much the same price everywhere and are the most expensive.

What will you be using them for?*

They don't work quite as easily as the marketing bumph would suggest.

* a fence probably, but what type, size etc

Thanks for the info Deluks
My next door nieghbour is removing his 25 year old seven foot tall pine hedge but will be leaving the stumps cut down to ground level.
It will be replaced with a 4ft fence.
As the ground will be more than a bit rootbound, I though that the easiest way to drive in fenceposts would be with the use of the metal spikes.

Cheers.

in that case make the hole a big bigger and concrete the post in. will last a lot longer and the results will be better. We rip out crap fences put up with metposts all the time. they are as i commented before!

I'm not one the metpost haters, but there's no advantage using them here. As the roots decay the ground will become looser and the posts will lose what little support they had.
7ft high isn't likely to have an unmanageable root system, invest in a mattock or sharpen an old spade with an angle grinder and you'll fly through the ground. Or were the trees reduced to 7ft from a greater height?

Thanks guys.
I'm begining to go off the idea of using Metposts.

I did use them when I built the fence at the front of my garden about five years ago. I've just had a look at them and the posts are in very good condition and rock solid.

Cheers.

Not a pro like Thermo but I've used metposts quite a bit with good results. I alwys use the 30" long 4" pukka metposts (the bolt-up ones are NBG) and I've found that they don't loosen over time and the posts don't rot. Just need a bit of care to get them in square (a bu**er when they rotate going down!).

Spike.jpg

Anyone know who sells these garden post spikes mail order and cheaper than B&Q or Wicks.
I have bought them in the past from www.cpc.co.uk but they no longer seem to stock them.

Cheers.

In my experience those things are a complete waste of time and money - Concrete Godfathers or replacement posts are the only way to go for broken wooden posts.

go back to the postcrete home for the menatlly disturbed! :LOL:

join the DNA

(National Dyslexics Association)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back