fence security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: I have a fence with the wooden panels that slide in concrete posts. Does anyone have a neat way of securing them to prevent intruders lifting them please?

A slight complication is that the fence heights are staggered because they are on a slope!

Sponsored Links
Thin wedges cut to fit behind the panels in the slots in the posts, so the panels jam if they are lifted?

Sponsored Links
Bang in some pegs of metal or wood into the ground and screw these to the bottom of the panel.

dilling is a good idea but the posts are really hard and brittle and i dont want to risk damaging them.

i like this idea but there is no soil to drive the stakes in. it has however given me the idea of jamming a piece of wood at the bottom between the posts and securing the fence to it. alternatively i could screw right angled brackets at each end making sure they are right up to the post. thank you again!

:idea: Just had another one. How about lengths of flexible metal banding joining each panel to the next?
It could be screwed into the panel at the bottom corner, bridged over the concrete post and screwed into the next.

nice one. this is great, i am now spoilt for choice

my favourite saying is:

attitude is contagious, is yours worth catching?

thanks to the helpful replies i have arrived at a satisfactory solution which not only improves security but stops the panels from rattling. i bought some 1/2" by 4" flat bar with 4 countersunk holes. i then bent one end so it was slightly greater than the gap when located at one end of the middle horizontal support and pushed into the concrete post slot. the bent leg could then be angled into the slot such that when the long leg was pushed against the horizontal it created a spring effect. when screwed in place it held the panel tight against the spring action and stopped it from rattling. it also prevented anyone lifting the panel. i have just completed the job thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back