Fence ? Whats the rules, pics added. Read alsorts online

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I want to put up 5ft or even 6 ft fence on back/side drive way. and double opening gates to make it more secure. do i need planning?

i was going to stick fence behind the wall butt tight it.

cheers

Sponsored Links
Anything next to the pavement over 1m high would require planning permission. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/fenceswallsgates/

But really I would just get on with it, the worst you'll likely ever receive is some snotty letters off the council.

Cheers will have a word with neighbour if hes okay ill do it. 5ft isnt that tall and i dont mind fitted small gates on front with a curved top so only the peak is a bit higher and they obv look abit nicer. Its just to secure my garage and drive for a classic car

Sponsored Links
But then anyone who hops over the fence will be hidden from view .....

True, mainly want the gates so i can work on the car and no worry people walking past can pinch any tools left on the floor. and so the cars cant be dragged out as i will fit some secuirty posts behind the gates.

will also have some cctv.

just stops the people walking past seeing as much as i would like :)

are the gates opening inwards?

looking at the picture, why don't you just put the fence on your own side, so you do not have to ask your neighbour at all?

just get on with it

are the gates opening inwards?

looking at the picture, why don't you just put the fence on your own side, so you do not have to ask your neighbour at all?

just get on with it

yeh thats my plan not touch the wall, just build fence on my side tight to the wall, drill and bolt down fence post feet and build the fence along. Inwards opening gates is best to secure with them posts. owards is best to fit cars on and move about so not sure as yet.

Is your drive concrete?

for gate posts you need to go into the ground to get stability, if you have space, do a slider

Is your drive concrete?

for gate posts you need to go into the ground to get stability, if you have space, do a slider

The fence pots them self i was going to use the drill and bolt down feat,
and the the two gate post ones i was going to use the same feet and then also bolt then into the brick posts to hopefully give them some stability and strength
as the drive is concrete yes

The bolt down fence post supports are notoriously unreliable especially in any areas that may experience high winds, fixing anything to that brick pier of your neighbours is both illegal and could well antagonise your neighbour, (it would me) and will probably make the pier unstable too. You may not like it but it would be far better to be burying your fence posts and ensuring your fence is not attached to your neighbours wall at all. Though fitting jockey wheels under the ends of the gates would mitigate things somewhat.

IF you fit gates there then the law requires that they are no taller than 1m at any point, this is something that if the council spot it or a neighbour complains you will have to either apply for planning permission or change them.

You also cannot have them opening outwards as that would block the highway (pavement) so they would have to open inwards - could you fit your car in there still if that's the case?

As has been said - do not use the bolt down ones - put proper holes into the ground - it's going to need a breaker & lots of sweat & elbow grease.
Do not attach anything to the wall unless it's yours - if its the neighbours wall then that's who will likely dob you in should you do so.

IF you fit gates there then the law requires that they are no taller than 1m at any point, this is something that if the council spot it or a neighbour complains you will have to either apply for planning permission or change them.
Yes but as has been said countless times will a Local Authority ever do any ore than write some snotty letters? It would not be in the general public's interest to bring about the costly court action to make someone remove a boundary fence.

Er... yes it would.

The rule about no higher than 1m is BECAUSE it is in the public's interest.

Have a look around the rest of the estate, are there others who have put up higher gates & got away with it? If so chance it, but if all the others are at 1m then it tells you that they may enforce this.

You can always do a Foi to see how many they have actually enforced before just going ahead with it.

Or design the gates so that sawing the top off is possible :

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back