Fencing advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Just need some opinions advice, on what to do about some fencing. Now I don't know much at all or what is best, only what I have been told.

I want to put up a new featherboard fence but I don't know what to do for the best. My housing have said, it would be best to keep the old posts and just put up some arris rails and fencing that way.

They said, the old posts will last for many years and have been in the ground for about 30 years. I was told new wood post they use in the ground will rot but these won't. Please see my picture.

I have had some people round for quotes and was told by one of them that, I would need new posts and was advised to not use the old ones, even though they will outlast the new.

On closer inspection, one or two of the posts looks like it has rotted a bit, cracks in the wood. The posts are 4x4.

I would like to use the old ones, but only if it will be better than new wood posts.

Any advice thanks.

So whats best to do?

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/Noname150/Fence1.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/Noname150/fence2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks but did you see the metal polls in the picture? They have been in the ground for years and have not rotted. Wood posts will rot won't they?

The 4x4 wood post is attached to the poll by bolts, so can be changed.

The other thing is, them old polls will be a lot of work to remove and I have little room for new posts if I was to do that.

More opinions would be great, thanks.

Sponsored Links
no i couldnt see they were metal and you didnt mention it! if it works with teh spacings and they are in good nick, then yes you could use them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back