fencing project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I moved into this house, I knew this wall was unfit for purpose. Last winter did it no good! So this week (well, yesterday) I set about knocking it down.

Here's the before pictures:
View media item 37589 View media item 37590 View media item 37591
Timber delivered:
View media item 37592
Here's the work in progress pictures:
View media item 37593 View media item 37594 View media item 37595The wall put up no fight at all. Part of it had been rebuilt, but most of it had been repointed and there was no real substance to the wall. I have a video of me pushing the wall over, but cant put it on here - facebook wont let me share it. The bottom 5-6 courses just pulled apart. No hammering required. I'm very glad I did this now. All that was holding it together was the weight of the bricks above.

Posts in:
View media item 37582 View media item 37583 View media item 37584 View media item 37585 View media item 37586 View media item 37587 View media item 37588I left the wall foundations (just brick spreader courses) in place, as although there is no mortar there anymore, they are solid and will help to support the fence posts laterally. The concrete fills the gaps I made in the foundations.

The posts are 4x4 and the painted bit is 2ft long, with 6ft above the ground. I just spaced them evenly apart, turned out to be 1.48 metres. The post next to the wall - I am rebuilding this wall up to the post. The corner of the walls there belongs to next door and I want to rebuild it to strengthen it, though its making the best of a bad job - the corner is **** and leans heavily.

All this in two days so far! On my own!

More photos to follow!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back