Fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to erect a wooden fence with vertical boards with concrete posts and three horizontal Arris rails. Can all the concrete posts be bedded in the ground first or do I have to do each post separately so that the Arris rails can be interlocked before continuing with the next section?

Sponsored Links
stan - or post, post, post, etc. then fit the arris rails by following the advice I gave to an earlier poster ...

"you bend them like a longbow ... fit one end, move along the rail 2/3rds the way, one arm hook over the rail the other arm hold the rail near the end, bend the rail, guide the rail to the mortice hole with the holding hand, let go all, the rail will 'spring' into the hole. Method has worked for me for years. Tip ... do a dry run to check that the rail tenons fit into the mortices before you do the Robin Hood impersonation. The above is easier to do with 2 people."

So Stan, you now have a choice: post, arris, post, arris
or
post, post, post, arris, arris, arris.

IMO one advantage to post, post, post method is that you allow the bedding concrete to set before 'loading' with arrises, although both methods are acceptable.

each to theri own, i just find it a lot quicker and simpler to do it the way i suggested, especially with bloomin concrete posts as there is so little give

Sponsored Links
I am sure it will be a very nice fence. Personally I prefer the post, rail post method. Unless you have a very short fence the first ones will be well set before you start nailing the boards on (best to give then a couple of days IMO)

To make it even more beautiful, you can paint the posts (and concrete gravel boards if you are using them, they are very long-lasting) with dark brown masonry paint to match the wood stain before putting the boards in

Doesn't this one look nice? (Dulux weathershield, I think it's called Bitter Chocolate. It took two mist costs to kill the suction)

View media item 975
View media item 976
warning: ignore thermo, he doesn't appreciate true beauty

ignore him, he has a mental problem. he is often found by the police painting areas of concrete in town and other peoples gardens. :LOL:

No John it looks ****e, like the colour!!!!!!!!

no it looks like painted concrete. by definition that can never look nice. now go back to painting your gnomes before the men in white coats catch up with you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back