Fensa certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had an offer to buy our house subject to fitting new UPVC windows. The existing ones are single glazed wood and in good condition, but the buyer wants new ones.

I've got good DIY skills and have fitted windows and doors in other properties and a local company will supply me good windows so I've no worries about actually doing the job.

The only fly in the ointment is a couple of mates in the pub tell me I have to produce a FENSA certificate to the new buyer as a guarantee and that DIY window fitting isn't acceptable and I'll have to get a D/G firm in to do it and issue the cert. Is that so and if it is, is there a way round it?

Sponsored Links
Fit them and get your local council building regs dept to supply the certificate. It will cost a bit more than a fensa sign off

The prospective buyer has got a set on him hasn't he .... :LOL: why expect you to replace the windows?? just deduct the cost from the sp and let him sort his own out, with his own designs and touches.
If insistant, go to your local authority and use a Building Notice - its the same net result as a FENSA cert, but better cos your work gets inspected and a cert of compliance issued, plus the money stays local to you. Costs vary around the country(£59.00 + vat by me) just fill out the form showing old and new styles, proposed fire escapes etc and give em a ring on the morning you finish the job and they'll come and sign it off. Remember minimum opening sizes for fire egress as per Part L (2002) Good Luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back