Ferroli Combi boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am new here and require a little advice regarding my Ferroli combi boiler. It is about 7 years old now, up until recently it worked fine, I would come in set the thermostat or turn on the hot tap and hear the boiler light ignite and hear/feel hot water being supplied. Recently however the boiler light has not been automatically igniting and I have had to constantly tun off/on/reset for the flame to ignite and supply hot water. Sometimes I have to do this 7 or 8 times as the flame cuts out again within 10 seconds. Can anyone advise me as to what the problem may be ? Thanks in advance, Johnny.

Sponsored Links
Bump, very similar problem...
Heating and hot water do work most of the time, but if heatings running and hot water goes on, heating often won't resume, sounds like it's misfiring, then may work after 5 to 30 attempts... Sometimes water does the same...
Just replaced thermocouple and gas valve... Think it's electronic, but not sure...

...oh don't worry, when I said "I've replaced" I should have said, "I've paid a professional to diagnose and replace some bits that didn't need replacing"...

Was looking for someone with similar experience of this occasional misfiring problem (don't want to jinx it, but it's been fine for 2 days now!)

Jim

Sponsored Links
"I've paid a professional to diagnose and replace some bits that didn't need replacing"

Why? If he didn't fix the boiler, you shouldn't have paid him....

Could be one of a few issues, as you've suggested it's most likely the electrics playing up (it is Italian, after all...). Not a reliable make of boiler, you'd be better off getting rid before it costs you any more money

Why? If he didn't fix the boiler, you shouldn't have paid him....

I didn't specifically pay him to replace the wrong bits!! ...you know how it is, they diagnose and recommend a repair; you either agree or disagree with them.

If you agree and they do it, there's a form of verabl contract in place.

Only afterwards can you gauge how well they've diagnosed!

Mais c'est la vie... :rolleyes:

I think a new boiler's probably the best option, but incremental repairs of a few hundred quid are more affordable month to month, besides it's nearly summer and we don't need hot water and heating...

Was hoping someone would say, just replace the PCB you can get them on eBay for £30... but alas no...

JP

Your verbal contract with him was to fix the boiler, if he recommends parts to fit and that doesn't work, he hasn't fulfilled his side of the contract as he has not fixed the boiler, and so he does not need to be paid. Lesson for the future ;)

You could try just replacing the PCB, but they aren't going to be cheap and it won't necessarily solve the problem anyway - if a PCB fails, it can sometimes be due to another component failing and taking the PCB with it. You shouldn't try to change the PCB yourself either - they control the gas valve and as such are considered to be a gas component which may need a degree of setting up after installation.

My discussion with him was something like:

JP: My boilers doing this weird thing...
GM: checks it over for a bit I think it's probably your gas valve or thermocoupler... I can replace them if you'd like.
JP: Do you think that will fix it?
GM: ...that's my best assessment of the problem, would you like me to replace them.
JP: I guess there's not much else I can do is there?
GM: Nowt else I can really suggest, but you might want to start saving for a new boiler!
JP: OK crack on then...

As I recall I didn't specifically insist that he fixed the boiler, I dare say he wouldn't have provided such an assurance, given it's age / condition etc... lesson learnt about how to discuss things next time mind!

Do you think I could have refused to pay in this scenario?

I've seen the PCB I think I need go for <£50 on eBay (as did the gas valve BNIB which I paid over £250 for!)...

Like you advsied earlier, I'd never fettle with a boiler, most other stuff yes, but gassy gassy boom boom... no thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back