Ferroli Optimax 25c water temp problems (sludge related?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some problems have recently developed with our Ferroli Optimax 25c. First thing I noticed was a couple of radiators not coming on much. I found that by opening up and closing the lock seal valves before resetting to previous position then they started working again. I've had to do this a few times in the last couple of months. Is that indicative of some sludge in the system?

More recently the DHW was failing to reach the 45C setting at higher flow rates. It reaches about 39 and then falls to about 30 before climbing back up again. This cycle repeats over 5 or 10 mins. The CH water temp was also cycling up and down and the display showing 'd' (for delay apparently) quite often.

Someone came to look at the system last week and proposed changing the plate heat exchanger for DHW and then doing a chemical de-sludge of system.

Most recently I find that the DHW temp is considerably overshooting 45C for low flow rates (up to 55 or so) while still falling below, as above, at more normal bath filling flow rates.

The diverter valve and actuator were replaced last year. The gas pressure is fine and cold supply pressure is fine.

Could sludge be at the root of all this? Would it make sense to deal with the sludge before considering changing any parts? I'm tempted to do that since we're getting by with enough DHW and CH as things are. Or is there likely something else going on as well? Are chemicals the best way or a good enough way to remove sludge?

Any suggestions appreciated,

Mick

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back