Ferroli Optimax HE plus 31c diverter valve leaking (again)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We moved into a house with a Ferroli boiler two years ago. The diverter valve has leaked twice (split) and therefore has been replaced twice. It's happening again as it's just started leaking.

I believe that the water pressure may be causing this (according to the last guy who replaced it). Does anyone know if this is a common problem with this boiler? And is it a case of fitting a Pressure Reducing Valve to the cold water supply that feeds the boiler?

We don't seem to have undue high pressure, but maybe I need to check this?

I'm aware that Ferroli boilers are not great by the way.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Water pressure as in 'Mains cold water supply' could not split the diverter valve as the 'Mains cold water supply' is not connected to the diverter valve.
I think you will just find it is just down to poor quality.

andytw

Thanks Andytw. I guess I meant the supply of cold water that feeds into the diverter, although this passes (I think) through a flow meter and a cold water flow limiter, before reaching the diverter. Oh and the black input taps for the CH system (to adjust pressure).

Therefore high pressure shouldn't be problem?

As you say it may just be poor quality. Long term it may be better to replace with a Valliant as it's costing £160 a time when the diverter goes.

I meant the supply of cold water that feeds into the diverter,

There isn't one. The divereter valve diverts hot water from the boiler to the heat exchanger or to the central heating. The pressure in the diverter is the system pressure as displayed on the gauge under the boiler. The cold water you refer to goes into the heat exchanger and then, once heated, out of the heat exchanger and off to the taps and shower.

andytw

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. Yeah I had that mixed up in my head. Pressure is normally at 1 to 1.2 bar, never any higher than 1.5. So as you said in the first reply, probably just because they are poor quality.

The end to this story is the fitting of a Vaillant EcoTec plus 831 with a 7 year warranty.

Good to be free of the Ferrolli, if not a bit lighter in the wallet area.

The Optimax HE is a relatively modern boiler presumably 5-9 years old.

Although they do not have a very high reliability reputation here, they should be able to give reasonable service.

Anyone with one would be well advised to take out a maintenance contract with BG or Homeserve.

Tony

Hi Agile,

It was fitted in 2010. We inherited this in 2012. The diverter valve has gone three times, the water filter was fitted on the wrong pipe, even if it was on the right pipe you couldn't service it (no room to get in the top). Before we moved in I think there was also a problem with the heat exchanger that was fixed.

Average boiler, not fitted very well = trouble. If fitted correctly and maintained then maybe it would give reasonable service, although I wouldn't recommend Ferroli after dealing with one.

I would agree that it would be wise to have a maintenance contract if you have this boiler.

Cheers
Nathan

REMOVED by author as apparently replying to a 9 year old thread that has NOT been closed is against the rules.

#NOTALLOWED

Last edited:
Maybe but your reply does not really help anyone
It might help those on the fence of whether to replace or not, which you actually mentioned. Also you hijacked a nearly 9 year old thread, which is generally against forum rules.

Did not realise it was 9 years old, but still the issue is valid

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I believe that the water pressure may be causing this
Nothing to do with water pressure, it is the solvent used in manufacture of the joints in the Plastic moulding that leaks, pretty expensive repair, so you might be better replacing with something decent, new Vaillants are not much better to be honest

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back