Fiat 500 Exhaust need replacing?

Cars do produce a lot of water from burning petrol.Thats why the the manufacturer build into there back box a pitot tube which, when exhaust gases flow over this tube it creates a vacuum and draws the water out of the back box.As the back box is far from the engine heat, water will sit there and rot out the exhaust, special doing short journeys
Some after market back boxes do not have the pitot tube in them, thats why they are some times cheaper.

I needs a new pitot tube for my car but can't seem to find an OEM part number?

Can I just use it without a pitot tube or should I distill all of the water out of the petrol?

Sponsored Links
I must say this is a new one on me but I've only replaced 3 petrol car exhausts last year (Focus- pattern, Kia Ceed- dealer, Nissan Micra K12- dealer) and I didn't notice such a thing.
Not a bad idea though!
John :)

I thought it was something on aircraft, an opening for a sensor....

Sponsored Links
A pitot is certainly used on aircraft.....tubes connect the instruments to the outside of the aircraft so that air pressure meter calibration can take place.
I've no idea about the principle regarding exhausts though, but just maybe a Venturi system could be used to suck up any liquids in the silencer and direct them into the exhaust gas flow - using the same principle to inject water into a steam engine boiler.
I'm also the easiest guy in the world to wind up :ROFLMAO:
John :)

HI thats correct Burnerman ,as the exhaust gas flows over the pitot tube it acts as a venturi.
They are used all over.

I worked for Rover for 30 years (some one had to lol)

Hi John ,no its built into the back box internally.Like you said just a basic venturi.
The name pitot tube is used in many a design and ways .Like you said planes measuring out side pressures.We also had them fitted to auto gear boxes to measure internal pressures of fluids ect.

Sponsored Links
Back