Fiat Punto misfire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an "M" reg punto 1.1 That misfires intermittently. Gone through all the usual things, plugs, points etc but still cant narrow down the problem. There is a worsening judder on the clutch..could clutch slip be responsible?? When it goes into its sometimes severe misfire it helps to drop the clutch and rev. That could be coincidental though!! Misfire is all through the gear, whether the engine is hot or cold and can disappear for a week or so before having a "turn"
any insight appreciated!!
ta
Jane
x

Sponsored Links
For the misfire I would suspect plug leads or cracked distributor cap as a starter.

Your misfire and clutch problem are nothing to do with each other.

You mention two different potential clutch problems.

1. Judder could be a broken or worn engine mounting or oil on the clutch disc/weak pressure plate.

2. Slipping is usually a worn down clutch disc / pressure plate problem. If the clutch is slipping the engine will rev without a corresponding increase in speed, more noticeable in top gear. As a rough and ready test see if the car will start off in 3rd gear, if the engine stalls the clutch is probably not slipping. Don't keep trying this though!

its had new plugs, leads and cap as well as fuel filter!! Fiat are scratching their heads over it too!

Im going to get the clutch replaced anyway in the next few weeks, but this misfire is driving me mad!

If fiat can't find the fault after actually seeing the car what chance have we got?

Sponsored Links
I had a misfire problem with a p reg punto recently - aparently it it quite commonly caused by a faulty 'coil pack' of which their are two under a cover on the top right of the engine.

A got mine checked out at fiat and they confirmed that was the fault. The coil pack cost around £40 but cost me a fair bit more to get it diagnosed by fiat.

Any way - fixed the problem!

David, unless you ask you dont get, KM2000 has offered a potential soloution. I came here in the hope someone else had experienced a similar problem, as it turns out they had.
So in answer to your question, a good chance.
Jane

Maybe...... presuming Fiat didn't know about a common fault??????

The problem with a forum is that you get an answer based on your question, you wrote a confusing description and I tried to answer that.

I don't understand why you mentioned the clutch when you know it is faulty. Furthermore you never said you had already been to a Fiat dealer(unsuccesfully) to resolve your prooblem.

As said by others on this forum, we try to help and learn from each other but we don't have chrystal balls!

david and julie said:
As said by others on this forum, we try to help and learn from each other but we don't have chrystal balls!

that happens a lot on here, not enough info given by person asking question, then expect that we know about the bits they dont say, and so expect a proper answer

I suppose the old Punto is a 'car, or so, too far' for the old Fiatarri F1 procession feedback to reach ... Their F1 costs are only about $400 M !! And isn't Fiat currently on it's knees ?
Perhaps your traction control is cutting in at too few rpm's ?

Anyway, km2000's solution looks good ..
I guess, we and the world in general need a little more patience at times, a chrystal ball would be the ultimate tool, the holy grail .... not much fun tho'.

Best of luck.

P

Problem solved, and actually the misfire and juddering clutch were very much to do with eachother. As I suspected the problem my car had was a common one with early punto's. I managed to find a google group and asked the same question on there and almost immediately got the answer....the Lambder sensor is faulty.

Its common for Lambder's to go at around 30,000 miles (ive done 32,000) and its also common for the head gasket to go at around the same time.

Fiat couldnt find the fault because plugging in to the ECU doesnt detect it, you need to do an emissions test to determine and they didnt do that.

Fiat it seems have a good knowledge of these problems but the dearlerships and garages are not very well informed of them.
Jane

In what way were the juddering clutch and engine misfire linked to each other?

If I were you a would definately give that fiat(dealership?) Garage a miss in the future.

the lamder sensor determines the mix that goes into the car, when it fails it sends the wrong amount of oygen or whatever into the fuel system, the problem shows itself with juddering when you pull off, and with the misfire because the right mix isnt getting into the engine.
Jane

Jane

Your question on google was not the same question you posed on this site.

Your slightly better description of the problem is finished by asking "am I right in thinking it is most likely my lamder sensor" You are only asking for confirmation of what someone as told you.

You also asked if the recent new exhaust had damaged the sensor,and that you have already had a quote of £130 by Fiat to fix your car.

Incidently a Fiat main dealer testing for an engine fault would most definately put a sensor (different type) up your exhaust. Technicians these days go through a set procedure, they don't miss bit's out.

Your opinion of Fiat seems the same as your opinion of Baxi on your other post.

Everybody on this site is only trying to help each other, we are not trying to waste our time slagging each other off.

David,
your initial response to me on this was both condesending and rude. I gave you all the information I could at the time. I asked around on another forum and was given information on the lambder sensor, hence my post on google. On that particular forum I was lucky enough not to meet a poster like you.

One of your first statements on this subject was that the misfire and judder had nothing to do with eachother, you were wrong.

People come to this forum with all the information they have to hand in the hope someone recognises a problem, when they invariably meet someone like you I imagine they do as I did and go elsewhere.

My opinion of Baxi has nothing to do with this question, and the problems I had been having with my boiler have nothing to do with this particular section of the forum.

My mother always said if you cant say something nice say nothing. Something you should heed.

Jane

I fail to see how my initial response was meant to be anything but helpful

I suggested a solution to your really confusing question and also said for a starter look at these simple things. You then added other comments to your query. I never offered a definate solution, nobody can online.It was you who said you had a slipping/juddering clutch not me.I only said what can cause this.

The guy on google as not confirmed your fault either, only made a suggestion based on what you said. He as told you to have it checked by your local testing station. Your question and his reply are there for all to read if they want.

For your information it may not be the sensor at fault. The sensor does alter the mixture to the engine as you say, it is also not the only thing that does that. If your car is juddering through a weak mixture the engine mountains are probably worn.

It is you who was rude by saying these problems are linked just for the sake of it.

I don't really care what your mother said to said when you were young, when you grow up you probably won't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back