Fibre (FTTC) installation, but I've moved my master socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I wanted to gauge some opinion before upgrading from DSL to fibre.

Bit of background... we've recently moved into a new house where the internal phone wiring was a bit all over the place. It had a master socket and an additional five extensions, all branched from the master line in at an opened junction box in the garage. There was also an alarm branched from this line. The ADSL router was plugged into an old master socket in the living room (small type). The ADSL speed was lousy and the connection temperamental so I ran a fresh cable and socket to a more sensible part of the house. I disconnected all the original wiring from the junction box but left it all in situ. The ADSL speed has more or less doubled since :D

My local exchange has recently become fibre enabled, with FTTC available to my area. My preferred ISP runs an install where a BT engineer comes round to your house to install a new faceplate and modem. So, do I......

1. Own up to the changes I've made and see if he'll work with my new wiring?
2. Hook up the old wiring while hiding my new wiring. Have him make the faceplate upgrade to the old master socket, then change it back to my new wiring when he leaves?
3. Hook up the old wiring but show him my new wiring, saying that I've done all the work for him and all he has to do is switch the wiring over, hoping that he doesn't suspect that I've been-a-tampering?
4. Something else?

I don't want to have an engineer out who then refuses to do any work. I've heard that this is a risk, but never heard of it actually happening.

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
I'd just say as little as possible, BT have used enough different types of cable over the years that he probablly won't notice.

he's there to do "provision" work, so he'll be happy as long as your stuff looks legit enough ie no stranded cable etc.

only time they mind is if they are on a "repair" task and the cust is complaining about the service and the home installation is distinctly non bt

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies everyone. I did use proper "BT spec" cable and master sockets so I'll make sure it looks tidy and legit and just plead ignorance if questioned. :evil:

There's a big chance you'll get a guy from Kelly Communications who are being sub contracted for a lot of FTTC work so they won't care anyway as long as they can mark the job as complete.

As above, don't say anything it'll be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back