Fibre glass roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got an extension with a flat roof covered with fibre glass about 2 years old. For the 2nd time in 6 months I've had to clean the roof of green algae, there is about a 3 inch fibre glass lip over the edge of the extension and this seems to be causing green algae runs down the exterior rendered walls, it looks awful.
Anyone any ideas to stop this happening please? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply, I have tried that and other washed and its seems to have really ate into the rendering. Is there anything that could be painted on the glass fibre to stop it reacting and dripping down walls causing the algae as the other rendered walls of the house are fine. Thanks

Sponsored Links
most roofs have agae on them but the smooth nature of fibreglass roofs does mean it can run off, There are some products that you can spray onto roof tiles to prevent the growth of moss and algae, but not sure if they would adhere to the fibreglass or just get washed off

Sounds like the lip is too close to the rendered wall ? Can you post a pic.

Sounds like the lip is too close to the rendered wall ? Can you post a pic.

Not right now as I'm away from home, but I'm guessing 2 to 3 inches out from the wall, but you are correct because it has been running down the walls on all 3 sides unfortunately

If the roof is falling in that direction there should be a gutter there which would collect the water as it drips off and take it to a downpipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back