Fiddling Son No 2 Meddled With Lappy....

If he does it again and comes seeking help, tell him "No" . If he manages to break it, don't whatever you do, buy him a new one. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks!

Yeah, I've told him that already.

We don't have to money anyway to replace it.

I've told him that laptop has to last him through school. Don't think he can visualise a few years ahead. That got him wide-eyed!

Think he understands now.

The Command Prompt is far more use than many give it credit for!

you can do pretty much anything you can do in the GUI part of windows system wise with the correct cmd command... it's not a DOS prompt, nor has been for a good many years, but I feel you knew that already.

He's been at it again... and this time it's a good 'un!

I set the system up without a Microsoft account.

However, now he has managed to get it to boot up with a different email address showing in log-in box.

Well, I say different, but it's the same prefix, but it ends "@outlook.com", which his email address does not.

How the heck does he change this?

The good news is he is locked out of the laptop while this is going on...

Sponsored Links
He's been at it again... and this time it's a good 'un!

I set the system up without a Microsoft account.

However, now he has managed to get it to boot up with a different email address showing in log-in box.

Well, I say different, but it's the same prefix, but it ends "@outlook.com", which his email address does not.

How the heck does he change this?

The good news is he is locked out of the laptop while this is going on...

A [email protected] or .co.uk will map to an [email protected] account, but I feel this is not the issue here?

Yeah, I did.

It seems you can't keep a fiddle away from his toy.... ;)

The onus is on him now.

If he wants to go on his laptop, he has to find a fix.

Let's see how long it's out of action for.... ;)

With all due respect, your son sounds a PIA!

I think you're doing the right thing. Leave him to sort it out himself. The best way to learn is by making mistakes, so they say.

He is very inquisitive when it comes to IT and has been noted as "Gifted and Talented" at school.

But as I have said before, he is not clever enough to know how to undo any situations he gets into!

Perhaps I will set him a challenge: We will race each other to a solution and if he gets there first, I will buy him a little computer-related gift.

Login as admin,

Set him as a user and ensure he has minimal privileges until he learns to stop p1ssing about with it.

Argh.....

That's the really stupid thing on my part.

There is no other log-in, only his. Stupidly, I didn't set up one.

I know, I know, I should have. But I didn't.

And now I'm paying the price.... :cry:

He is very inquisitive when it comes to IT and has been noted as "Gifted and Talented" at school.

But as I have said before, he is not clever enough to know how to undo any situations he gets into!

Perhaps I will set him a challenge: We will race each other to a solution and if he gets there first, I will buy him a little computer-related gift.

Hmm potentially rewarding son for "bad" behaviour...... not good! [/end patronising parenting lesson]

Fking right how about 'if you fck it up again you're not having it for a week'

I used to build servers and puters in my room on my own as a kid...if i fcked it up i had to rebuild it myself end of.
My dad would of barely known how to switch the box of bits on let alone fire up fdisk ;)

He's had a jolly good talking to now.

He understands he cannot just mess about without understanding the consequences.

Spent almost 9 hours in total looking for a solution then spoke to Microsoft in the US who said I had to start again.

I have had to effectively reinstall the OS and while I was at it I put an admin account on it. I am Admin, he has a secondary child account.

So when he wants to make any changes, it needs my password and he has to come to me, so then I know what's going on.

The biggest advantage is if he ever f's up again, I can recover stuff through the Admin a/c.

But I might not tell him that.

Sponsored Links
Back