Fiddling Son No 2 Meddled With Lappy....

Sponsored Links
Remember you can still download and install all manner of crap without an admin account.

May not be anything that will break the computer, still might be stuff you don't want him to have or various crappy malware (like keyloggers).

Eddie: Virtual machine?

AS: yeah, I know, but this is damage limitation!

Sponsored Links
Eddie: Virtual machine?

AS: yeah, I know, but this is damage limitation!

Virtual M/C
A 'pc' which runs in software ! If the host (the real physical machine OS) has a bit of oomph! and a fair bit of unused disc space, then you can relatively easily try different OS's within the VM. Install as if dealing with a real M/C.

I think Ed means install a VM & back it up - let young'un loose on it, when it breaks - restore the back-up (Just a file copy exercise), have another go young man ! Of course he will lose whatever he installed / downloaded be it good or bad up to the recovery point - a good way to learn - f'k it up? Then start all over again - It's a b'stard !!

I use a freeby 'VMware Player' there are others - I'd guess all pretty much the same, although the 'fanboys' may bristle and snarl, VMWP generally works well. But then what do I know? Seeing that I am using Win8.1 pro as host. the VM installed OS the 'guest'.:D :D

Obvious problem for the righteous - keys, keys always keys. Unless you try out the freeby OS's Linux stuff. I have a Centos ? thingy named 'Browser-Appliance-24.0' for browsing the webby installed withinin VM.

-0-

Indeed that is what I meant, should have mentioned other virtualisation software is of course available, it's also a way of letting someone else use your physical machine, but using their own virtual machine.

As pip has mentioned of course it all depends on your hardware having enough grunt (that's a technical term)

Back