Fighting limescale on shower cubicles in London?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am redoing my 20 year old bathroom in London. Limescale deposits on the corner shower enclosure glass walls and metalwork has been a recurrent problem since day one.

Reading brochures I have seen references to such things as Showerlux "Glass Shield", Kudos' "Lifeshield" and Phoenix "Easy-Clean" which all claim to reduce limescale deposits.

I am somewhat sceptical, do any of these actually work and if not, what can I do to stop the shower cubicle (particularly the metalwork) becoming horribly stained with limescale?

Thanks for any helpful replies :)

Sponsored Links
I think I may have heard that vinegar is effective. Pongs a bit, though.

The best way to stop limescale building up is to clean it after every use. Use a squeegee on the glass and a microfiber cloth on the other parts. Boring but it works.

My wife tells me to clean our shower after every use, AND WE'RE IN A SOFT WATER AREA.
My attitude is that the water from the shower cleans the shower. :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for these replies. I suspect that you are 100% right that the only way to deal with limescale buildup is by cleaning and drying the shower surfaces after every use. The various treatments may help with run-off but I can't believe that they are worth the money.

A water softener is not on - too expensive and generally inconvenient.

I currently use Viakal but I have been told that over time, it causes damage to the finish anyhow.

Many limescale cleaners cause damage to metallic surfaces. Check the packaging for advice.

If you don't wipe the water off the glass, you soon get a kind of mistiness which becomes a right b*gger to get off.

Living in really hard water area South West.
I wipe tiles, glass and base following a shower - Could be it is a bit like driving like mad because one believes one is losing so much time, actually timing the process be it cleaning or a regular journey soon gets the brain straight that actually it doesn't take a lengthy time, just requires commitment.
When the 'misty' effect is present I use a scouring or washing up pad, lace it with liquid soap, gently wipe all surfaces - before showering, then carry on as normal using shower head to swill soapy water away. As before finish with the wipe down... leaving surfaces damp near dry with no droplets visible.
Two minutes wiping down time.

-0-

I wonder how much you spend on cleaning and replacement, and what you think a softener costs.

APPROXIMATE COSTS
-----------------------
Water softeners cost between £300 and £1100. Depends on size and type.
Installation I would estimate between £300 and £1000. Depends on complexity of pipe work. Need to keep kitchen cold tap water unsoftened. Some (most?) combi boiler manufacturers will void warranty if softened water used for domestic hot.

Salt - about £190 to £230 per annum (West London)
Water for flushing - £10 to £20 per annum allowing for sewerage charge as well.

Maintenance - guess at£30 to £50 per annum.

Don't forget you need somewhere to store bags of salt. I buy 10 bags at a time as its cheaper.

My maintenance has averaged £60 every 12 years.

(One call to replace seals)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back