filling around sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been converting all my single sockets into doubles however on a couple of them ive made the holes too big and now have approx 5mm gap above and below. Ive tried filling with filler but the holes are too deep(35mm back boxes)and i think there too small for expanding foam as it gets everywhere and i dont want it getting inside back boxes. What can i use?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Five mm isn't a huge gap. You could try finishing plaster, but it's a waste to buy a bag if you don't have any handy, or Pollyfilla or something similar. You might have to put a deeper layer in and wait for it to part dry and then apply the finishing coat. When you say you've used filler if you've used decorators filler then it won't be stiff enough, but the two layer method may suffice.

Rgds.

I used Polyfilla. When the hole was big (as most of them were) I put rubble/paper in, then plaster short of final finish, let it dry then re fill.

If you find it difficult to work with plaster, you can bed them in sand and cement. Dampen the wall first. It is easy to shape and gives you plenty of time. You can rub it off the face of the wall with a dry rag before it sets. Just leave yourself a small gap to level off with plaster. You can adjust the back box so they are at or marginally behind the surface of the wall. You can poke it into the gap with your fingers or a pencil. If the gap at the top is biggish you can poke it in there and let it fall down the back and sides to fill them, then pack it down tight.

You will have to use at least one screw to hold the back box onto the wall so it does not pull out when you tighten the faceplate (though if you leave the mortar to set properly this is fairly unlikely to happen).

Sponsored Links
Jetcem are good, just add water, very quick drying. Also available in smaller bag.
Jetcem.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back