Filling crack in between doorframe & wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a crack going all the way around the door between the door frame and wall. Had the door frame fitted just over a year ago and it seems like the plaster has come away from the frame but in places it's just the paint cracking. Was thinking about using a paintable sealant but just after some tips please.

Thanks

Graham

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 2,348
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 5,593
Sponsored Links
Open it up and cut away jagged bits with sharp Stanley knife then apply Decorators caulk using mastic gun then a wet finger and sponge to wipe it flush and clean. Don't overfill and let it harden... Keep wiping with water till it is flush, you can always add more when dry.

Looks quite wide though - you might need to cover it with a strip of quadrant or similar if too much for caulk as you want to maintain a sharp line & caulk can give a radiused internal corner.

As dilalio says, but for a crack like that to open up it doesn't just look like natural settlement. Make sure there is no movement in the door lining, and address it before filling if there is, otherwise it will keep cracking.
If any of the plaster is loose, remove it and fill with a standard proprietary filler, allowing to dry before caulking.

Thanks for the advice. I've tried pushing against the door frame and there is a little bit of movement. I may have to ring about to see if/how it can be re-secured as it's a bit out of my league trying to do that

Sponsored Links
The plaster is an inert surface so wont shrink. Timber however will shrink after its fitted and starts to dry out. You will have to check how well the casing is fixed to the wall as the crack is a bit large for normal shrinkage.

Looks like shrinkage (warping) to me. Tidy it up and use a frame sealant and all will be well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back