Filling holes in oak.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm close to moving into my new house - a 1920's property with some really nice oak trim and paneling in the lounge. Not sure how to describe the finish, varnished is the wrong description, more polished to a light sheen without looking like it really has a coating on..... It is a mid colour (neither dark nor light) with a lovely aged patina.

Either way, very nice, except for a few holes where over the years fixings have been simply screwed in then removed with little thought for the beauty of the wood.

How to fill these holes? I basically want them to become invisible. How can I achieve a great finish?

Advice welcome

Sponsored Links
Wax filler sticks are usually the best way. You can get sticks in various colours and mix them to match. Liberon is one firm who make them.

Thanks for that - very interesting. Also a reasonable price at under a fiver for a medium oak stick.

The colours aren't bad from what they are called actually, but as I said they are mixable. I generally aim for a very very slightly darker rather than lighter shade, failing an exact match. I find it tends to show less.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back