Filling in hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
we have a fairly deep hole in our kitchen at work where the old water meter is located, it's now defunct since the water company installed a new meter outside, i would like to fill it in because of all the spiders/insects it attracts , what's the best way to do this? ,we just want it filled and level, maybe tiled to match the surrounding area but not too bothered as it's covered by a work table anyway.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/midnight*racer/DSC00530_zps268413db.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would guess it's an old property, so no worries about bridging any DPC.
But I'd still try to avoid it if possible.
I'd create a "ledge" around the top of the hole to allow some old tile to sit on, or preferably a piece of old slab, cemented in place.
Then a bit of self-levelling or similar to make good the surface, ready for tiling.
It looks like it's close up to the wall, so I'm assuming no possibilty of any weight bearing on it. But a piece of old slab should suffice anyway.

Avoid wood or metal which will rot.

Sponsored Links
do you mean leave it hollow and just tile over it?
That's pecisely what I meant, only cap it with something substantial first.

If you fill it with concrete and there is a DPM/DPC you will have probably bridged that DP layer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back