Filling in old pond....HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to fill in a pond in our garden as it is too much of a danger for a little one. What I want to do is drain the pond and fill with a load of rocks and rubble I have from a previous buildiong project, I then want to returf the entire garden including where the pond once was. Will in need to use specific soil type to do this? I obviously want the gaden to drain well so ant tips would be much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
I am no landscape gardener but if you are going to back fill the pond with rubble then that area will have better drainage than the rest of your garden. I would say you need an equal amount of drainage through out the whole garden, so put a fair bit of top soil into the pond hole about a foot or so should be ok. Let the soil settle down before you lay the turf by compacting it, but not to much.

Normal top soil will be ok.

I have recently landscaped my rear garden after building an extension. I turned over the whole garden then put 2-3" of top soil down. The new lawn took off nicely after a few weeks, this was in september so if you do lay lawn now it will not grow until spring.

Paul.

Thanks Paul, yeah am not gonna even attempt it until March next year. Gonna wait for better weather. :D

Sponsored Links
fill the pond with hardcore etc and use soil to blind it (ie fill in the small holes. Fill it up to about 6 inches below the turf level. If you have a compactor then you can use this, but if not leave it for a few months, especially in this weather. The rain will help to draw the smaller stuff down and firm it all up.

WHen we lay a lawn we always use sandy loam as a base. That will allow you to get a perfectly flat base to lay the lawn on and the turf loves it. Cut back the edges of the lawn to get a decent straight lawn to patch up to. The patch will stand out for a long tome though. As for when to lay the lawn, we lay all year round unless there is frost. It will continue to grow and root through the winter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back