Filling internal gap between UPVC window and plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Long time lurker, first time poster and a complete DIY novice!

We've moved in to a house and have been stripping off years worth of paint and wallpaper from the rooms.

When stripping the area around the windows we've seen that the material between the UPVC frame and the main plaster finish was crumbling and peeling.

As it was cracked and falling off we've started to remove the filler around these windows which seemed a combination of grout/silicone type materials.

What's left behind are sizable gaps between the frame and the main plaster wall - 6-8 mm in places.

The 'depth' of the gap back to the brick is about 20-25 mm

In some rooms there was slight damp/mould marks at the top corners of the windows.

I've seen similar posts on here but no pictures so can't be sure they were referring to the same sort of issue I have.

I've put a couple of photos below.

We've got a plasterer coming round to skim the rooms next week.

What should we use to fill and finish this sized gap to ensure a good seal?

And should we wait until the plasterer has skimmed the rooms or at least part fill the void now to ensure we can get at it easily and not risk damaging the nice new finish of the skim?

Thanks in advance.

JJ

IMG_3907aaa_resize by JohnnyJames1, on Flickr

IMG_3910aaa_resize by JohnnyJames1, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
A bit of bonding plaster or repair plaster, the your plasterer will skim right into the reveal.

Thanks.

But won't I need at least a layer of silicone between the repair plaster and the plastic of the window frame? If there's ever any condensation or moisture around the window's edge it would get transferrred straight to the plasterwork and be absorped into the wall.

JJ

Sponsored Links
As foxhole said. then run a bead of clear silicone around the frame once the plastering is finished and dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back