Films on holiday

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen people pointing a device at a TV to play a film stored on the device. Would like this facility to take on holidays and play on room TVs ?

Sponsored Links
you can do this with a laptop/ipad type things.
it depends on the size of the hardrive you have,and also wether the tv has the correct plug etc for streaming.

Western Digital TV (WDTV)
Android MX TV Box
Roku

All the above are media player boxes available for £80 or less. All can access content from a USB stick, USB-connected hard drive or a NAS drive. The NAS is OTT for holiday use but useful to know about for using these media players at home. For holiday use I'd take a couple of 64Gb USB flash drives. At under £20 a piece they're cheaper than the option of a laptop HDD in a caddy and being solid state there's a better chance of them surviving in transit.

Of the three options above I'd go with the Android MX TV Box. These are available for under £60 off Ebay. They run a slimmed down version of a very slick home cinema PC program called XBMC. The Android app version has a fully featured front-end interface. What's missing is some of the customisability you might run on a £500+ HTPC system. Compared to the Roku and the WDTV though it's streets ahead. Simple stuff like the user interface and being able to choose movies from thumbnail views is such a big step up from the basic text lists on the other boxes.

I've never used the Roku but I know all three output on HDMI, and I can confirm having used WDTV, MX and a Seagate GoFlex that all of those also output on composite with stereo audio for compatibility with the CRT TVs you may still find available in holiday accommodation.

I have recently installed a couple of the MX TV Boxes for clients. One was a replacement for a the HTPC software on what was a £2500 HTPC system installed 5 years ago. Both clients are over the moon.

If you want you can download the PC version of XBMC for yourself to play with. It's free for personal use. http://xbmc.org/download/

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all that info. If I go for the MX TV Box is it guaranteed to work on any TV, this will be in an hotel room in an Italian Ski resort (the TVs look recent according to the pix they show !) I just wonder how they connect ??

Already address that in the previous post...
all three output on HDMI, and I can confirm having used WDTV, MX and a Seagate GoFlex that all of those also output on composite with stereo audio for compatibility with the CRT TVs you may still find available in holiday accommodation.

Lucid...I watch my stuff in a room whilst away skiing. Tignes in feb 2014, done plenty in Italy in the past.
Whilst I take lots of films rarely watch more than one. Have good Ski.

Thanks, don't intend to watch any really, just as a last resort !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back